UKC

Winter Multi Day Pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 29 Oct 2021

Any advice for a good multi day winter pack?

Will be used mostly for 2 - 3 day Munro bagging outings, either carrying a tent or bothying. Needs to have a way of carrying snowshoes and tent externally that is minimal faff.

The lighter the better.

Current no.1 contender is the Osprey Aether pro 70. It's not cheap though, so want to see what other options there are and welcome any other advice.

Cheers

In reply to AJK87:

Aiguille Alpine Zephyr is what I use for Scotland winter backpacking and bothies;

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/climbing-alpineruck...

No bells or whistles but very comfortable with heavy loads, within reason.

You can get bigger (e.g. their Verte model) but it's very tall. It towered above my head.

In reply to AJK87:

Just bought a Granite Gear 60L pack. Arrived today, so haven't got any feedback to share. Ridiculously light! Got a two week trip planned in Scotland planned for the end of December. Went for this size as a way limiting how much I can carry. I've a habit of filling every bit of my pack with stuff. 

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/all-ruck...

JStearn 02 Nov 2021
In reply to AJK87:

70l is way bigger than you need for that kind of trip, if you are filling that you could probably reduce your pack size significantly. Osprey packs also tend to be a bit faffy with straps and heavy for the volume, e.g. the Aether 70 is almost 1.8kg. I usually take a 50l pack for multi-day winter mountaineering (carrying tent & rack inside the pack, with rope outside), so 50l should definitely be doable for Munro bagging. I would look at something like an Atompacks Mo or similar UL pack.

OP AJK87 02 Nov 2021
In reply to JStearn:

Thanks for that, that's useful advice.

I've got a 48 litre so l'll use that later in the month when I have an outing and then see if as it gets colder I can find way of managing to still cram in what I need.

jethro kiernan 03 Nov 2021
In reply to AJK87:

For winter overnights I use an AK57 which is plenty room enough, bear in mind I’m usually packing a camera and spare lenses and other photographic gubbins.  I would say try with your 48 with a little packing discipline and go from there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...