UKC

Really waterproof marker pens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 01 Nov 2021

I need a really waterproof fine point marker pen for plant labels for the garden. I don’t want plastic in the garden for several reasons so have been busy slicing up offcuts of oak flooring and painting them with white masonry paint. I only want to do it once.

Can anyone recommend a good quality product as I’m tired of cheap ones which turn out to be inadequate.

daWalt 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

carve them. if you're going to change things around - carve roman numerals (easier to cut) and keep a note elsewhere......

unless you're planning to write things like "gerowf moi laaaaand" and such like

Dax H 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/facilities-cleaning-maintenance/paint-painti...

You can get these with a .8mm tip if that's fine enough. I use the 3mm ones at work and they are permanent. I have tried other cheaper brands but the paint wipes off.

jimtitt 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Metal marking pens, Edding make them but any metal working suppliers will sell them.

OP Rog Wilko 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Dax H:

Thank you very much - just what I wanted.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

You could try pyrogravure; a fancy soldering iron. Or a 50W UV laser engraver...

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Wax type markers can be more durable than the paint ones. I find the paint fades more quickly but still lasts for a year or so.

OP Rog Wilko 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for all the replies, folks. UKC comes up trumps again.

Herdwickmatt 02 Nov 2021
In reply to jimtitt: Reckon that would work on a mountain marathon map?

jimtitt 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Well I use industrial no-name ones on metal and have no idea what a mountain marathon map looks like!

Toerag 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I don’t want plastic in the garden for several reasons ...... and painting them with white masonry paint.

Isn't most masonry paint plastic? Perhaps the longest-lasting solution would be to brand light wood with a soldering iron, not only does it go black but it's indented as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...