UKC

Can My Jetboil-Style Stove Be Fixed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Franco Cookson 02 Nov 2021

Hello all,

I bought one of those cheapo Jetboil style stoves a while ago. I thought it was great and have used it an absolute tonne. 

Recently it's stopped working. The flame gradually got weaker and weaker until no gas seems to get through at all. It appeared to stop working after a prolonged period of being run on low, as a gas bottle was running out. Is it possible some kind of residue has built up and blocked it? Or could something spilling into it whilst cooking have blocked it? I took the thing apart and it seems to be the very bottom bit that screws onto the canister that's blocked. 

It's not the end of the world if I have to buy a new one, but prefer not to throw things away if I can avoid it and I've failed to find anything useful on a Google search. 

Any help would be great! 

Thanks!

HeMa 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Does it work with a full cartridge?

Also are you using cheapo or good quality cartridges.

More often than not, the problem is in the valve pin. It isn't long enough to open low quality cartridges (contrary to beliefs, they ain't all that standard and there is a lot of variance in them).

Also check that the pin is actually moving when you adjust the flow-valve.

jimtitt 02 Nov 2021

The jets gradually block just as they do on domestic cookers. I've also had a spiders nest cause problems with the airflow.

In reply to HeMa:

Nope, I've tried it with several new cartridges and tested the cartridges with another stove - so I know the cartridges work. I think you may be right about the pins, as the pin is noticeably different to my trusty pocket rocket. It has always worked with those cheapo cartridges though... 

In reply to jimtitt:

Is there a way to unblock them?

jimtitt 02 Nov 2021

Bit of thin wire like a wire-brush bristle.

Herdwickmatt 02 Nov 2021
In reply to jimtitt: I took my alpkit stove apart and cleaned it and it seemed to fix the problem 

Siward 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Which bit and how did you clean it? The bit that seems blocked is like a pin at one end and a octagon shaped bolt on the other. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting anything in to clean it...

Thanks all for the ideas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...