UKC

Europe van insurance for long trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 15 Nov 2021

hello, 

as per title, I'm thinking about heading to Europe for an extended period in the spring. I have an Irish passport so can stay as long as I want. but, my current insurer will only insure me for three month stints in Europe. Does anyone have any recommendations for insurers where this isnt the case?

thanks!

AtLargesse 17 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

I use sterling’s expat insurance program. It is not especially cheap, and I’ve never yet attempted to make a claim on it or use roadside assistance, but it does provide legal cover. 

thompsettjack 17 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc: I use Brentacre. They ensure me year round in Europe as long as I’m not working. Cheap and really good customer service! 

OP GraMc 17 Nov 2021
In reply to thompsettjack:

cool! im actually with BrentAcre at the moment too but we probably have different underwriters, im with Marker who only do three month stints. do you know which insurer is actually named on your insurance policy? would be brilliant if you could let me know!

cheers 

heleno 17 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

Almost too envious of your Irish passport to reply 😉, but the Caravan and Motorhome Club offers overseas motoring insurance for trips of up to 365 days. 

Glug 17 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

Is your van fitted out as a camper? Brentacre gave us camper insurance (even though our van isn't registered as a camper) which gives full European cover for a year, pretty sure it's underwritten by Marker.

OP GraMc 17 Nov 2021
In reply to Glug:

oh weird, yeah mine is camper insurance under Marker - but clearly states maximum 90 days in a year. Have you been with them a long time? I wonder if its changed recently due to brexit?

Glug 17 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

I have been with them for a few years, but couldn't get camper insurance until last year as our conversion didn't meet the new government regs for registration, Brentacre changed their policy and allow you to have camper insurance without it being re registered (I think it has to be at least registered as a van with windows) Our policy also states a maximum of 90 days in all the paperwork, but there is a code which is listed to make it camper cover which gives a year, you still have to notify them of the dates when you go abroad. I had to phone them and arrange the cover as it's not clear on any paperwork I could find, it doesn't have anything to do with Brexit according to them.

OP GraMc 17 Nov 2021
In reply to Glug:

ah amazing this sounds promising! my van is just registered as a regular van, but I have the value of the conversion insured by Marker - so hopefully this route will work. Where is the code listed that you mention?

thanks for this! 

Glug 18 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

There is a list of endorsements, and it is one of those, I can check on the document later if you need me to. 

Glug 18 Nov 2021
In reply to GraMc:

On my policy schedule it has a list of endorsements applying, the Motorhome one is number 077.

OP GraMc 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Glug:

Phoned up Brentacre and all I need to do Is put a side window in the van! Don't even need to faff around re registering with the DVLA. Thanks for heads up on this! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...