UKC

REVIEW: Black Diamond Onsight 375 headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 30 Nov 2021

Though aimed at rock climbing, the Onsight 375 is equally good for other uses, says Dan Bailey. It won't win the lumens arms race, but this robust and weatherproof model would make a solid main light for winter climbing and hillwalking, and its ability to switch between spot and flood modes is handy too.

Read more

EdS 30 Nov 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Only 375lm.....rather lacking for a modern torch.

And how uses AAA these days. Far better cell options available 

In reply to EdS:

Hi Ed, did you read the review? 

In the intro I said it won't win the lumens arms race - that's very obvious. I do however think it's easily bright enough for climbing and hillwalking, and the key thing for me is that it balances reasonable output against a reasonable battery life. For me there's not much point having a mega bright headline figure if the output soon drops.

As well as the power of the LEDs the configuration/focus of the lens must have a part to play in how far the beam is cast, and in this case it seems pretty good. So I think the on paper figure is only part of the story. Maybe lumens are a bit like megapixels in that sense: loads more don't necessarily equate to loads better.

Re the battery, I'm happy using AAAs, and for travel etc they give you flexibility. However this torch can also run on BD's own 1800 Li-ion pack, which is mentioned in the review. This has slightly more output and life, but it's sold separately. Not everyone will want to fork out the extra. We didn't get a battery pack to review here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...