UKC

Winter hardshell jacket recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cameron_S 14 Dec 2021

So today I sent back my less than two year old Mountain Equipment Lhotse under warranty due to delamination. I thought that by buying well I would buy once but unfortunately I was left less than impressed.

The majority of the time in winter conditions I wear a buffolo top and have a ME Citadel as my belay jacket, so am looking for something more for occasional use as it's unlikely I'll be in it all day.

So I am in the market for a new hardshell jacket and wondered if anyone had found something that they really liked or any other ideas?

mike123 14 Dec 2021
In reply to Cameron_S: not trendy but get a Patagonia one , I rarely wear mine but have it in my pack all the time in winter .  when I do wear it it does  the job . It’s about 8 years old and when the zip failed about 3 years ago they gave me a new one ( I would have preferred a repair but as usual with patagucci the no quibble guarantee wins every time . Can’t remover the model though . 
edit : I think it’s a triolet .

Post edited at 21:11
 DaveHK 14 Dec 2021
In reply to Cameron_S:

> The majority of the time in winter conditions I wear a buffolo top and have a ME Citadel as my belay jacket,

Jesus, those and a hardshell? How big is your rucksack?  

OP Cameron_S 14 Dec 2021
In reply to mike123:

Thanks for the info about Patagonia warranty, I've heard that before so I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to try them on.

OP Cameron_S 14 Dec 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Probably too big! I am a sucker for being warm.

mike123 14 Dec 2021
In reply to mike123:

Having reread this I realise it’s a bit nonsensical . The jacket!was 5 years old whe The zip failed . I got a new one. The new one is now 3 years old. 

JB 14 Dec 2021
In reply to Cameron_S:

I have a Montane Ajax. Nice fit (on me), tougher areas on shoulders. Good hood. It's not the lightest though and I imagine others might be more breathable (it's 'classic' Gore Tex which conjures up images of 'old school' cagoules but it's definitely more refined than that).

I got mine for £150 ish which I thought was good value. 

OP Cameron_S 14 Dec 2021
In reply to JB:

Good to hear about Montane, had a look and seems another good option. For £150 it would be for sure! Another for the try on list.

Cheers

olddirtydoggy 14 Dec 2021
In reply to Cameron_S:

Had a few Mountain Equipment hardshells with mixed results, my main issue is getting a lot of rain down the chest. I now use a Marmot Alpinist. Huge hood, bombproof build and pockets where you need them. It even has skiing features like pass pouch and a snowskirt that zips off. I usually find that jackets with too many features for crossover use fail at their intended main purpose, this one excels in everything. Often cheap on Sportpursuit.

OP Cameron_S 14 Dec 2021
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Another good option, I ski too so its something to think about. Good reminder to check sports pursuit, just seen a Berghaus Chombu for £90 which looks pretty good for the price.

carr0t 16 Dec 2021
In reply to Cameron_S:

I quite like the simond hard shell jackets and trousers. They are reasonably priced, good functionality and quite durable. Mine certainly get a very good kicking with no problems.

OP Cameron_S 16 Dec 2021
In reply to carr0t:

Normally a fan of decathlon stuff but the reviews of the Simond waterproof jacket don't look promising unfortunately and at £120 it's not far off some other jackets. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...