UKC

Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 30 Jan 2022

I am planning a walk along the Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne does anybody know of a VERY affordable GPS?

felt 30 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

11 maps

ben b 30 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Agree re the maps.

If you have a smartphone, you could use any of the "introductory" 3 months free subs for Gaia, which has all the IGN maps offline, and then cancel as soon as your contract allows. 

b

tagscuderia 31 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I've only walked stages 2 and 3, but I used the Cicerone guidebook and ViewRanger. However I rarely needed either; I did take a map for stage 2 but it was redundant, and the one place that I checked it, at the col before the Port du Lavedan (because the guidebook was confusing and the path not obvious in cloud), it was wrong

ViewRanger is kaput end of Feb I believe, and I haven't found an alternative. If you find one though, I'd recommend hrpguide.org: £15 donation to a Himalayan Earthquake relief fund and Peter will send you GPS waypoints for the entire HRP. He also sends useful updates via email, well worth it.

OP BoaseF 03 Feb 2022

Tagscuderia, I checked but could not find where to ask for the guide you recommend.

Do you have an email address?

tagscuderia 04 Feb 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

The Tom Martens guidebook (3rd edition) from @65's link. I read it each evening to give me an impression of the next day's route; rarely needed it whilst walking thanks to the prolific trail markings (admittedly more sparse on Stage 3). The guidebook is already somewhat out-of-date now, with some routes seeing detours/amendments and refuges burned down or closed

So Peter's hrpguide.org is a handy addition, even if you can't use the GPX files; he's out there each summer and will provide 'live' trail updates from other walkers e.g. I had to skip Larribet and head through Spain as the snow field to reach the Port du Lavedan was impassable without crampons (bullet-hard neve); I was lucky because there is a detour and there were 2 emergency spaces at Refuge d'Arremoulit! I emailed that in to save others time... or worse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...