UKC

Comparing 2 "Belay" Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 05 Feb 2022

Hi,

I've been looking at a warmer belay jacket and the montane gangstang cought my eye.

I currently have a direct alpine impulse. https://www.directalpine.us/products/m-s-impulse-1-0-insulated-jacket-fw202...

I was wondering how much warmer the montane jacket would be? The impulse is around half the weight however it looks like around the core anyways, the fill weight is the same 133g/m2. Montane says primaloft gold whereas direct alpine says primaloft gold active. I'm not sure if there is a difference in these.  The montane has a bit more insulation in the other areas of the jacket.

I'm confused where the weight difference between the two is coming from. Is the monatne a lot warmer?

Cheers 

Glenn

wbo2 05 Feb 2022
In reply to glenn0010: That jacket is very light.  Will the Montane be warmer - yes, I think so, only the core of the directalpine is the heavier weight insulation.  As a belay jacket I'd say it looks flawed.  Not warm enough and the hit needs to go under a helemt - so better used as a warm mid layer

ColdWill 05 Feb 2022
In reply to glenn0010:

have you actually weighed your jacket? Also Quantum Air on your jacket is not windproof like Quantum Pro on the Montane. So the Montane will be warmer in windy conditions like being stood around at a belay for 2 hrs.

Post edited at 19:32
OP glenn0010 05 Feb 2022

Cheers for the replie. I've not actually weighed it but it does feel very light, I can attest that it is very warm and it was warm for use up in scotland but conditions werent overly cold. I'm wondering if a warmer jacket would be a good idea. Cheers also about pointing the windproofness as well.

GG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...