UKC

Bubbly compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 11 Feb 2022

Hi all,

I have a compass, it has served me well for many years, but had recently developed an air bubble. However it is altitude based. As the pressure drops as I go up the hills the bubble appears and is a pain in the bum for getting the needle to settle. 

I've heard of folk drilling out the back to remove bubbles and top up the fluid, but as the bubble only appears up high this isn't very convenient.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I already have a replacement but hate to true things away if they can be repaired somehow 

Ta, GTE

In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

onceuponatime  a compass I had developed the same thing, I lived with it till the time the top parted company and I was left the parts minus the fluid.  That had wet the bit of map that was needed. Balancing a   Needle On the Pin in half light with cool fingers was memorable.

nniff 11 Feb 2022

Not worth it, IMHO.  What is worse is buying a new one and then shutting it in a car door on its first outing

jimtitt 11 Feb 2022

It's normal, marine and aircraft compasses have a compensator to cope with temperature and pressure, cheapo ones don't.

Post edited at 16:19
 crayefish 11 Feb 2022

God, I wish I had a bubbly compass!!!  You lucky bastard.  I'm always failing to locate the good champagne... 

Dave the Rave 11 Feb 2022

I haven’t tried this but could you put it in a weighted, sealed ,waterproof bag in a full bath or bucket of water ?

Ridge 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I haven’t tried this but could you put it in a weighted, sealed ,waterproof bag in a full bath or bucket of water ?

Make sure it's a fibreglass bath rather than steel/cast iron, or it'll take some carrying on the fells.

If it's a Silva compass they have a five year guarantee. I've just had one replaced by them after it developed a bubble.

The Lemming 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> Make sure it's a fibreglass bath rather than steel/cast iron, or it'll take some carrying on the fells.

nearly spat my dinner out all over the keyboard.

a crap climber 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Just locate the nearest bathtub in a field using this handy resource, no need to carry your own the whole time!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/bifag/

Bob Kemp 11 Feb 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Here’s the solution- 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...