UKC

Paper bank notes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve rarely used any cash in last two years and had forgotten I had any paper bank notes still until I found some £20 notes last week.

Therefore, just a early reminder to others that 30th Sept is last date to spend paper £20 notes (also £50 ones) if you happen to have any stashed away and forgotten. As an aside I discovered one £20 note I was paying into my current account was not legal tender, or so the teller told me; wonder how I got that one.

Post edited at 18:42
 squarepeg 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Eh? No twenties after September? 

MG 21 Feb 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

New ones coming. You can always change old.ones too, most banks or in extremis the Bank of England (anyone know if tbere is a teller or whatever who handles this?)

Jack 21 Feb 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Old paper ones are being withdrawn. They are being replaced with the new plastic ones. 

In reply to squarepeg:

New £20 polymer notes came out  2 years ago. It’s the old paper ones that are getting withdrawn.

In reply to MG:

I just went to my local branch where my current account is as it was easiest for me. The postal address, if that is what you’re asking(?) is shown here - https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes

mk one 21 Feb 2022

Money never loses its value. Shops will no longer be able to accept them as payment as they will no longer be legal tender. You can still take them into a bank and deposit them or exchange them for current legal tender, whenever you choose.

MG 22 Feb 2022

Aha!

CantClimbTom 22 Feb 2022
In reply to MG:

Been a long time since I was last there but it's just inside the entrance (and I think it's on the right?)

As you go up to the big metal entrance doors there is security there who can help you, ask for cashier for old notes (they're used to it). Haven't used the cashier myself but security were approachable and friendly/helpful when I've been in a few times in past

Likely you can use your own bank, as a customer they should help you

Eeeeekk!!!  Just read Climbing Pieman's link, that they pay you via SWIFT    Maybe DON'T go there or your own bank might charge you £20 or something?    (unless it's a significant wadge of cash - if so let me know and I'll help carry the suitcases, I might suddenly start running though)

Post edited at 09:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...