UKC

Last Munro - Creise or Beinn Fhionnlaidh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe G 22 Feb 2022

I'm thinking of heading up the last few Munros that I haven't so far climbed and it'd be nice to time it with a weekend this summer when my mountaineering club has booked Lagangarbh.  Given the option of Creise or Beinn Fhionnlaidh, which would you choose and why?

Last Munro - Creise or Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Creise
Beinn Fhionnlaidh
Login to vote
 skog 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Joe G:

Which Beinn Fhionnlaidh? The one between Glen Creran and Glen Etive was my last one, and is a decent choice for it - easy enough to get to, simple enough to do, and stand-alone rather than part of a natural group. The one by Loch Mullardoch would be more awkward..!

Creise isn't a bad choice either, if you've already been up Meall a Bhuiridh - but I think most people would do it with that, so you may end up with a bigger day out or some people staying out longer to do it too.

Post edited at 17:00
 Mark Bull 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Joe G:

Both decent hills. Sron na Creise is a worthwhile scramble if that's appropriate. If you want to include Meall a' Bhuiridh, an option which avoids the ski area is to start from the A82 near Loch Ba (longer, some steep and pathless terrain, may not be to everyone's taste!). Also possible to pair Creise and Beinn Mhic Chasgaig. 

I prefer the Glen Creran approach to Fhionnlaidh to the Glen Etive one - you can make a good circuit out of the east ridge and the wee hidden glen on the south side (past Lochan na h-Uraich). 

In reply to Joe G:

Overall, I would choose Beinn Fhionnlaidh. Main reason is I think that the last should be an easier all weather type one and if I’ve remember correctly that one is the easiest of the two in my mind if weather not ideal; also gives interesting views.

I say that partly as I’ve met a few where the planned finish didn’t go to plan, and every one was weather problems (mainly trying to do the remaining ones in too short a time frame prior to the last one). Never under estimate how the weather can change plans on the day and even the run up to ticking off the planned last few to allow compleation on the chosen one.

Assuming you have others to finish beforehand, I would suggest leaving time to catch up just in case before your last if the last one has to be on a set date. I was convinced by the ones where it didn’t go to plan to allow 6 weeks between my penultimate and the last one just in case. 

OP Joe G 23 Feb 2022
In reply to skog:

Ha, yeah Lagangarbh to the head of Loch Mullardoch would be a mission! I was thinking that Creise would be a fitting one to finish on.  My first proper mountaineering day out was Curved Ridge at the age of 13 and I remember looking across to Sron na Creise and wanting to go there next and scramble up it and I still haven't.  But thinking about it, a stand-alone wee peak that's fairly easy does suit a sociable wander better than one that's either a rough trackless approach or on the far side of another hill, and ski centre.

I may well join you in the Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Glen Creran / Glen Etive) Compleater's Club

OP Joe G 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks for the advice on both hills.  The Glen Creran approach does look nice and a scramble up Sron na Creise is long overdue (see my reply to skog) but probably best not as a way up a final Munro, which kinda points me towards leaving Beinn Fhionnlaidh as the last one.

OP Joe G 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Cheers for the sound advice.  Best laid plans and a that... I do indeed have a few left outstanding and weekends are filling up with other plans, which to be fair, ain't such a bad thing after the last couple of years but could keep me from this particular list of hills!

JohnnyW 24 Feb 2022

In reply to

> I may well join you in the Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Glen Creran / Glen Etive) Compleater's Club

Had never thought of a Glen Creran approach, and need this for my 3rd round, so may well join the club too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...