UKC

How to report a stuck Carneddau pony?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 24 Feb 2022

My wife and friends came across a wild pony today on top of Gyrn, in the enclosures/sheepfolds on the north east side. Grid reference 648688

They tried getting it out but it had presumably jumped in, and couldn't get enough of a run up to leap out again. It was too big to go through the low sheep gate in the wall.

They tried to get it out without success, it probably needs a farmer/ranger with a quad bike/winch.

Any ideas who we could contact to let them know?

Ta

GTE

Post edited at 19:25
 plyometrics 24 Feb 2022
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Just done some googling, looks like this chap could be a good start:

https://twitter.com/1garethwynjones?s=21

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/wild-carneddau-po...

Good luck. 

In reply to plyometrics:

Well, he's been tweeted (twet? Tweeten?), and is on the case.

And a friend has asked Ogwen MRT if they have any contacts who can help 

Thanks 

GTE

Moacs 24 Feb 2022

Well done!

Rick Graham 25 Feb 2022

Bump.

If anybody is going up to check that the pony has been freed this weekend?

If I found it still there, presumably it is a dry stone enclosure. Taking down a short piece of wall would let the pony out. 

The wall can be rebuilt, the pony not.

Dewi here from the Carneddau Pony Society. I have just seen your message and someone will go up to the sheep pens to check up on the pony sometime in the next 24 hours

In reply to CarneddauMountainPonySociety:

UPDATE: Someone was due to go up this afternoon, Friday. I will post a further update tomorrow.

Dewi

Thanks Dewi,

Good to hear 

GTE

Fruit 26 Feb 2022

I love that there is a carneddau mountain pony society. They are a magnificent sight - the ponies, not the society  

In reply to Fruit:

Thank you very much, diolch.

The society is a group of farmers that graze sheep on the Carneddau and look after the ponies in all weather. As a society, we must thank the charity Horse Sense Wirral for looking after any sick or injured ponies that we have to take off the mountain

JOC1 27 Feb 2022

Do we know if the pony is now OK?

In reply to JOC1:

I haven't heard anything. My wife reckons it was on its last legs, but is by no means a pony expert.

I'd love to know the outcome too

JOC1 02 Mar 2022

That's a shame, esp. not to know.  Though I did read up on these ponies online and apparently if they die on the hills they leave the remains there as they feed back into the eco-system.  So perhaps that is what happened.

Mike Peacock 03 Mar 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Is that true? My understanding was that, although feral, the Carneddau ponies are technically owned by various farmers. And that therefore any ones dying on the hill would legally have to be disposed of? (legally that is, I guess plenty of hill livestock dies and no one realises so it just gets left).

JOC1 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I read it here:  https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2018/09/wild-ponies-wales-rugg...

I am seriously interested in horses, always have been, but strangely hadn't heard of this group of ponies prior to this thread, so I've been finding out about them.

Ger_the_gog 03 Mar 2022

> UPDATE: Someone was due to go up this afternoon, Friday. I will post a further update tomorrow.

> Dewi

Any news on this Pony, Dewi? There are a few people waiting, including the walker who called it in. Thanks.

In reply to Ger_the_gog:

I was up there on Tuesday (1st March) and didn't see any sign of it.

Mike Peacock 09 Mar 2022
In reply to JOC1:

Thanks for the link, that really surprises me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...