UKC

Car hire Palermo Airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dmatth 27 Feb 2022

Hello

Can anyone recommend car hire at Palermo Airport, Sicily please

Many thanks

Regards

Dave

james1978 27 Feb 2022
In reply to dmatth:

I used green motion. They were a good price and the car was quite new. Only drawback was a 5/10 minute shuttle bus to the depot outside the airport. 

nwclimber 28 Feb 2022
In reply to dmatth:

Not a recommendation, more a warning. Returned the hire car to the airport, member of staff checking it over went directly to the petrol filler cap area and 'discovered' a chip in the paintwork smaller than this letter o. We had taken photos prior to pick up but we couldn't pick it out on any of them.

Fortunately we had taken out excess insurance in the UK so we didn't lose out but it's just extra hassle.

Enjoy your trip!

henwardian 01 Mar 2022
In reply to dmatth:

Been to Sicilly before? If not, you are in for a treat, driving is.... how to put it?... adventurous? Especially in Palermo itself, it is pretty hardcore. My recommendations - make sure you are alert and well-rested before driving in/through the city and make sure you really use your mirrors all the time, drivers in Sicilly are expected to give way to vehicles from in front, behind and both sides, sometimes simultaneously. Road signs and markings are only vague suggestions and your number one aim is to fit in with surrounding traffic rather than the surrounding regulations.

Also, if you get pulled over, all occupants should put hands out of the windows and wait completely still for the police to approach. The police are just as scared of you as you are of them and they are the ones with the guns. Probably drawn.

Have fun

nikoid 02 Mar 2022
In reply to henwardian:

Beat me to it, I was just about to give the same warning! Absolutely crazy place to drive, nobody gives you a inch. Trying to find your way whilst avoiding crashing will demand your full attention.

pec 02 Mar 2022
In reply to henwardian:

> Been to Sicilly before? If not, you are in for a treat, driving is.... how to put it?... adventurous?

Yes, the further south you get in Italy, the worse the driving becomes and you can't get much further south than Sicily. It's a truly third world driving experience.

Every time you go round a bend assume there will be a car coming towards you in your lane as it overtakes another and you'll have to squeeze three cars into the space for two. It gets even more exiting when you are being overtaken on the blind bend as well and you have to find room for four!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...