UKC

ELCAS registered Mountain Training course providers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tallie 14 Mar 2022

Does anyone know of an ELCAS registered instructor or organisation that can provide Mountain Training courses under the scheme?

Mike D 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Tallie:

No, I don't think there's any nowadays, although I might be out of date. Have you trawled through the provider list on the ELCAS website?

Plas y Brenin (and I think GL too) used to be registered to deliver a smattering of MT courses but there was so much bureaucracy/admin forced on them by ELCAS that it just wasn't worth their while.

The closest you might get is Nonstop Adventure who do ski/snowboard instructor courses that are on the scheme. You could approach a provider to see if they're willing to jump through the hoops with ELCAS to get registered and get a MT course approved but it's a whole bunch of work for them. The difficulty of hoop-jumping also depends on whether the MT course already maps across to UK's Qualification Framework (eg. I believe that Summer ML still does (at Level 3, equiv to A Level) but MIA/MCI never has, which is why ELCAS has never deemed it worthy of being funded).

rockwing 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Tallie:

I've been looking this week too and I can't find anything I want to do either. I've used SLC for MTE courses before but they don't have the same rigour as the ELCAS scheme. Would be keen to know if you found anything out.

OP Tallie 17 Mar 2022
In reply to rockwing:

Nothing as yet after a fairly in depth trawl of the list of providers. There are a few ski / snowboard instructor courses as Mike alludes to above but nothing that I can find that's Mountain Training related.

I’ll post back here if I do find anything.

rockwing 19 Mar 2022
In reply to Tallie:

Potentially worth approaching some of the larger institutions such as PYB but probably not economically viable for the independent operators.

What civ quals are you looking at?

Stu McInnes 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Tallie:

Wet and High Adventures are elcas registered MT providers - get in touch with Gwilym there: info@wetandhigh.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...