UKC

Van insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ffati1 03 Apr 2022

Im picki g up a new van, but im after advice for the best insurance for it.

Its a converted vw crafter but the v5 hasnt been changed anyone have a good insurance company they use

Šljiva 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

Hard to get the V5 changed these days for a conversion. I was with A Plan for years, but their prices jumped last year and the Caravan Club (!)  beat them by a mile, better price and better (European) cover. We’ll see how it pans out this year at renewal. 

JoshOvki 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

I use A-Plan, quite happy to insure vans that are campers but not campers on the V5

Post edited at 19:08
 lanky 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

I use Brentacre for a camper with V5 not changed. Price is fair haven't needed to make a claim yet, so can't state on that front

Rik 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

I use JustKampers for a T5 with V5 not changed. They’ve always been competitive on price, with the option for an agreed value. They were also efficient when I had to make a claim.

SDM 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

Brent Acre have given me the best quotes for the last couple of years on my self converted van without the V5 changed.

No experience of what they're like when making a claim but customer service has been good and it's been simple to add/amend items as you change your van.

ChrisJD 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

> a good insurance company they use

If you want a good one versus a cheap one, try NFU Mutual.

raincloud 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

I also use JustKampers and have done for the past 10 years on 2 different t5s

First was self conversion with no V5 change second was professional conversion with V5 changed - no issues with either and no need to declare the modifications unless it was an engine remap or similar

TechnoJim 04 Apr 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

I was with NFU when I first got my van. My experience was that they were neither cheap nor good - I had some tools stolen and they paid out £500, then put my premium up by £500 on the next renewal a few months later. Wouldn't budge on it. That's not insurance, that's a loan. I took my custom elsewhere.

Gawyllie 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

Also use Brentacre.

Like others, I haven't had to make a claim but so far they are very easy and pleasant to deal with both by phone and email. Get straight through with no menus on the phone and respond to emails within an hour or 2 during working hours.

When I was looking for insurance the main appeal was that they clearly cover converted vans that the DVLA classes as 'Panel vans'. This was a grey area with some of the other insurers that I looked at.

They also seem to be competitively priced.

BruceM 04 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

I use(d) HIC which is now called Sterling.

They seem to be related to Adrian Flux as do (I think!) some of the other companies mentioned above.

Does anybody know how these relationships work?  Are some of them just different badges for the same company?

ChrisJD 04 Apr 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

Been with them 20+ years now - had a few pay outs, always helpful with us (local office in Chesterfield).

Four different commercial vehicles over that time.

Post edited at 15:47
 TechnoJim 04 Apr 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

Looks like I just got unlucky then. Although I had a similar thing happen with Direct Line. Someone went into the back of me, totally their fault, their insurance paid out and then Direct Line jacked my premium up by £200 on next renewal (no other accidents, 7 or 8 years no claims). 

Grrrr. Pet peeve. Sorry.

Dark-Cloud 06 Apr 2022
In reply to raincloud:

Ditto this, they have insured out self converted T5 for the last 10 years, never had an issue, insurance is actually provided by a company called HIC or Sterling as somebody else has mentioned.

OP Ffati1 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Ffati1:

Cheers guys i went with adrian flux in the end(cant remember who the actual underwriter is) they wereable to give me a very good price and 180 days European cover. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...