UKC

Another sleeping in France (or Belgium) question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Šljiva 05 Apr 2022

We usually arrive on the continent early morning, but thinking about making the crossing later at night this year. Any recommendations for parking a van (doesn’t have to be free but the late arrival probably rules out campsites) and getting some sleep somewhere between Calais or Dunkirk into Belgium? 

DaveHK 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Šljiva:

Any motorway aire.

e.ms355 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Šljiva:

although we have travel in a van, we often spend a night in an Formule1 or similar cheap motel before our ferry back home, just saves driving around looking for somewhere to park up for the night. booked in advance can often cost not much more than a campsite for two people and can get there any time of night

Tony the Blade 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Šljiva:

There's an 'Aire De Service Camping Car' at Gravelines - roughly half way between Calais and Dunkirk.

Fat Bumbly2 05 Apr 2022
In reply to e.ms355:

There is one in Bethune, by the motorway exit - we used it on the way to Mons a few years back.

OP Šljiva 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Thanks all 

pec 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Šljiva:

The French are happy for people to sleep in vehicles on autoroute service stations but personally I wouldn't stay in one of the small rest areas for security reasons, I'd stick to the bigger and busier full service areas.

I'd also try and get well clear of the Calais/Dunkirk area as migrants often hang out at these services trying to find vehicles to stow away in. Some of the services near Calais are now closed for this reason.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...