UKC

Environmental Reading for aspirant MLs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 06 Apr 2022

Working towards my assessment later in the year.

My biggest knowledge gap is all things environmental. I'll be going to any CPD workshops that I can but could do with some reading material. 

My flora, fauna, and geology knowledge is virtually none existant.

Would appreciate reccomendations of any books or useful online resources that people know of.

Thanks

Doug 06 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

'Hostile Habitats - Scotland's Mountain Environment: A Hillwalkers' Guide to Wildlife and the Landscape ' seems to be the usual answer for a single book & is a good starting point.

OP AJK87 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Doug:

Thanks!

Tony Buckley 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Doug:

I'll second that recommendation.  Terrific book, easy to read and written by people who have been to many places hillwalkers and climbers frequent.

Depending on which area of the country you're most active in, you could see if there's a book about it in the Collins New Naturalist series.  Though perhaps a little harder going if you haven't any background, they are often good.  Dated but not so's they're worthless, far from it, and can be bought cheaply second hand.  One word of caution; I really didn't get on with the revised version about the Lake District, the original is far better.  

For geology, many people think Granite and Grit is a good book for the hillgoer.  I didn't, for what I think are good reasons, but am happy to recommend it on the basis that others like it.

More if I think of other things.

T.

Post edited at 20:12
In reply to AJK87:

I don't want to disuade you from gaining knowledge, as that is always a good thing, but when I did my ML one instructor at PYB encouraged us to read up on flora and fauna because that was his thing.  We studied all evening and the next day tried to impress the next instructor.  He could not have cared less and knew even less than us.

jezb1 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

> I don't want to disuade you from gaining knowledge, as that is always a good thing, but when I did my ML one instructor at PYB encouraged us to read up on flora and fauna because that was his thing.  We studied all evening and the next day tried to impress the next instructor.  He could not have cared less and knew even less than us.

That’s disappointing to hear. There’s always exceptions but the vast majority of assessors will be keen to hear your environmental knowledge. I love it, I always learn loads on an assessment!

RBonney 06 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I read The Walker's Guide to Outdoor Clues and Signs by Tristan Gooley. Not only is it exceptionally interesting but I've used loadsof parts of that book whilst out with groups. I couldn't recommend it enough. 

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-Walkers-Guide-to-Outdoor-Clue...

In reply to AJK87:

If you're a member of the MTA there's an excellent series of recorded zoom lectures in the members area.

Welsh Kate 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Two of the key works have already been mentioned - Hostile Habitats, and Granite and Grit. I'd add Mike Raine's Nature of Snowdonia which is also excellent.

girlymonkey 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I find that rather than reading up in advance, I prefer to take photos of things I see when out and then look them up when I get back. There are now also apps where you can take a photo in the app and it identifies it for you. 

ExiledScot 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Rock rambles in snowdonia, gives you an overview of history, geology, flora and fauna, all whilst following routes in the hills. Someone else may know a similar title for the lakes, but I've not seen one.

It's worth learning, it'll open a whole new world to you, not just enable you to demonstrate the knowledge on assessment. You'll never look at a bit of rock the same again. 

Post edited at 07:43
 LucaC 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Paul Gannons Rock Trails series are great for geology: https://www.paulgannonphotos.co.uk/product/rock-trails-snowdonia/

OP AJK87 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Thanks for all the replies

HedleyP 07 Apr 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Another good book is Scottish Plant Lore - Gregory J. Kenicer (ISBN: 9781780276908)

It gives a nice background into the plants which makes for better chat than just reeling off names and also has some lovely line drawn illustrations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...