UKC

GHIC - how long to arrive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 15 Apr 2022

Both our EHICs having expired last month, and with a trip to Portugal coming up at the end of May, I applied for GHICs for both of us on 4th April.  Can anyone who has applied for a GHIC recently advise how long theirs took to arrive?  I'm wondering at what point I need to start badgering the GHIC people given that our next trip is approaching over the horizon.

(We do have travel insurance as well but, not unreasonably, the insurers expect you to have a GHIC if travelling to a country that accepts them.)

a crap climber 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Mine was about 4 weeks or so. Didn't really keep track of it, it arrived after I got home though.

If it doesn't come in time it's probably worth making a note of the section on 'If you're abroad and do not have your card with you' on this website:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-glob...

djwilse 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Renewed the whole family's (x4) recently (even though some still had a year on). Arrived in less than 3wks.

Jon Read 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Ordered one in March, came within 2 weeks.

Glug 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Just over a week for ours when we did it in January. 

camstoppa 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

Mine arrived a week after I got back - I ordered >2 weeks before I left.

Rodders 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

We applied for them on the 9th March, and having not heard anything phoned on the 1st April to ensure all was in hand (0191 2181999 - listen to all the things but DON'T press GHIC, just hang on the phone) we were told that we didn't need the physical card and we could sort it out on-line!

Miraculously they turned up the following week - so 5 weeks in total.

Sam W 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

We're currently in France and applied about 2 days before we left (bad planning).  Needless to say the cards hadn't arrived, but there was a message at some point during the application process saying that in an emergency you don't need the physical card, there is a route to getting the necessary info for the hospital over the phone/online.

Si dH 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin W:

Ours only took a couple of weeks I think. I ordered them about a month before our trip (which we are currently on.)

Post edited at 20:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...