UKC

beginner climbing in Fife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LoriWatson123 21 Jun 2022

i have recently started to boulder in a gym wall but haven't managed to venture outside yet .

i have only ever tried bouldering and none rope climbing as of yet , I'm wondering if anyone can tell me any crags that are suitable for beginners and are semi close to Fife area 

if anyone has any tips or advice for me then that would be appreciated

Thanks

Lori  

Chris(cface!) 24 Jun 2022
In reply to LoriWatson123:

Hi Lori, glad you're enjoying climbing and want to get outside!

Have a chat with staff at your climbing wall(s) as most will be happy to point you towards favourite venues/climbing clubs/good practice for getting outside.

Also, the British Mountaineering Council, (BMC), produce some really good advice for climbing practices outside, as do the MCofS. They're often postered up at climbing walls.

It's Scotland, give time for rock to dry out after rain, especially softer types like Sandstone/Dolerite. Even if it looks dry always worth giving it a good 24hrs after rain before cranking on softer rocktypes.

Leave no trace. Try not to plaster the rock with chalk, take a couple of cheap soft toothbrushes or invest in a set of Boar-hair brushes to clean holds gently with. 

Take fingertape, snack wrappers, tissues etc etc away with you.

(I'd link info here but I'm an total luddite!).

Have a look at the UKC Crag Map section above. It will throw lots of options for bouldering venues your way & maybe quite close to home too.

If you have transport,  Glen Lednock Boulders is roughly an hour from Fife & is a beautiful spot for bouldering. Lots of great problems of all grades & sizes with generally good landings.

Free to download guide is available via issuu app. 

I'm biased as I am admin. For  Bishop Hill but its also a beautiful spot. Bit of a hike & worth having a crash mat/climbing buddy for some landings but often with a cooler breeze to keep the midgies away! White Craigs here most amenable for beginners.

Don't get to hung up on grades as they vary from indoors to outdoors, rocktype/conditions. Climb/boulder problems you get inspired by or love the look of!

Main thing is to go have fun and enjoy a wee adventure!

Nick_Scots 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Chris(cface!):

if your going to lednock boulders take a tarp to lay ahead of you to tamp down bracken. By now it may be very thick lichen.

bit of a trek up the road with a bouldering pad. Nice venue worth the effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...