UKC

Any problems with travelling to London for my busy Sunday schedule?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 30 Jul 2022

I intend going to the Ukrainian Freedom orchestra prom at the Albert Hall, and want to get there reasonably early in order to get a good number in the Arena queue. The concert begins at 11am. There appears to be a train from Peterborough at 7.45, arriving just after 9am into Kings Cross station.

Then I'm going to Clapham to watch the football final for about 4 pm. That should finish round about 6.45(?), and the evening prom starts at the Albert Hall again at 7.30pm.

Finally I would like to head home from Kings Cross station to Peterborough somewhere round about 10.00-10.30pm.

Am I being optimistic? 

I know that there is a rail strike today. Will there be sequel problems with trains being out of place for the services advertised as running for tomorrow, and will I be able to travel on the underground/buses tomorrow in order to get from one place to another in time?

Rob

BusyLizzie 30 Jul 2022
In reply to veteye:

Trains from Reading to London this last Thursday, after Wednesday's strike, were slow to get going and very crowded, but I got to work ok. Looks like you've left enough slack in your morning timetable to be ok, and the trains will have re-shuffled and got back to normal by evening.

Have a lovely time, sounds like a great day!

Hooo 30 Jul 2022
In reply to veteye:

I'm on a London bound train right now, and I was on one last Wednesday too, despite the strikes. There will be a train. Forget the timetable, just check the live updates and see what's running, and be prepared to be flexible. Just like a normal day on the trains TBH 😀

seankenny 31 Jul 2022
In reply to veteye:

Clapham to the Albert Hall in 45 mins might be a bit tight. That’s going by the rule of thumb that suggests leave an hour for most London journeys even if they are quite short.

OP veteye 31 Jul 2022
In reply to seankenny:

Thank you for saying that. I'll have to consider if I cut short having a little celebration if we win the football, or whether to depressingly curtail things much earlier if we are obviously going to lose.

Time plans will be stuffed if there is extra-time with the match.

Part of the "fun" is always the walk/run from South Kensington underground with a fairly heavy sack (water etc ) past the Natural History Museum and V+A etc in already hot conditions; avoiding other unaware tourists moseying across traffic lights as if there is no time limit and no-one else around.

Then there will be the reversal run to get as swiftly as possible back to Kings Cross in order to catch one of the faster LNER trains back to Peterborough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...