UKC

Climbing gear left whilst rescue sheep on Cloggy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beegirl 27 Aug 2022

Clogwyn Du'r Arddu (Cloggy)Hi

We left some gear this afternoon at the top of the first pitch of Slab Climb Right Hand on Cloggy whilst rescuing a sheep stuck on a ledge below

If anyone is able to retrieve the gear for us we would be very grateful - there is a 240cm yellow sling, a screw gate and a maillon.

many thanks 

Clogwyn Du'r Arddu (Cloggy)

Welsh Kate 27 Aug 2022
In reply to beegirl:

Was the sheep rescue successful?! They have a tendency to bounce down the crag to avoid being rescued! Good effort anyway.

Mick Ward 28 Aug 2022
In reply to beegirl:

Hope you get your gear back. Agree with Welsh Kate, good effort with the sheep rescue. Generally they're not too helpful while you're trying to rescue them - and that's putting it mildly!

Mick 

tehmarks 28 Aug 2022
In reply to beegirl:

Crag swag? The sheep, I mean.

OP beegirl 29 Aug 2022

The sheep did make it down safely but it wasn’t easily tempted. A combination of pockets stuffed with grass, a t shirt over its head to calm it down and some quick sheep grappling moves were needed to encourage it to be rescued.

Michael Hood 29 Aug 2022
In reply to beegirl:

Gets harder if they've got a lamb with them.

Once rescued a pair at Gardom's Edge, mate abseiling down, me climbing up to discourage them from the edge, then just wait for the lamb to go behind mum and then POUNCE on mum so that the lamb's pinned against the rock. After that, relatively easy bit of sheep-handling.

Wimlands 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

Didn’t Dave Birkett have a grading system in place for Sheep rescues or did I imagine that. Yours sounds about S2.

Post edited at 09:06
 top cat 29 Aug 2022

Well done, hope you get your kit back.

My last sheep rescue was from down a hole.  It had been there a while and eaten everything possible.  It was still quite strong, but didn't struggle too much.

When released it gave an almighty Baaa! Then ran about 5m before tucking into some very green and succulent grass!

Clif rescues would be much more risky to all participants!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...