UKC

Barcelona climbing/ Sharma Climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rossiclimbz 06 Sep 2022

Hi all,

I'm interested in planning a trip to Barcelona in January because the flights are cheap. I appreciate it will be cold, but when I did a quick research, apparently it doesn't get much rain over January. I also want to visit the Chris Sharma climbing centre because it looks epic. So, I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone here climbed in Barcelona/ and in January?

2. Which guidebook would you suggest for me to get my head around the outdoor climbing that is accessible from Barcelona?

3. Has anyone been to the Sharma centre? What's it like?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this post.

Kind regards.

Stroppy 06 Sep 2022
In reply to rossiclimbz:

Hi, I can't help much in relation to Sharma's gym but I have been climbing near Barcelona a few times in Winter. If you are planning to hire a car then there is absolutely loads of choice in terms of area. I am a big fan of Siurana but you are also in reach of Margalef, Oliana, Lleida areas etc. These areas tend to have their own local guidebooks you can purchase whilst out there, or some in advance.

If you get good weather it will be mild and feel warm in the sun, and you certainly have a better chance than if you are in the UK. Nonetheless, it can be windy and cold in the hills if the sun isn't out and I have been out there in cold and wet conditions. I once had approx 1cm of snow whilst staying in Siurana and the lady running the campsite seemed extremely alarmed.

Sounds like you could wait to see what the weather does and plan accordingly, if you are willing to leave it to the last minute to book accommodation?

Stroppy

OP rossiclimbz 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Stroppy:

Thanks for the informative post. Sounds like there is enough climbing around for us to access!

In reply to rossiclimbz:

I was talking to two Spanish ladies at WestWays Club Night and they recommended I should visit Sharma Climbing.

notgnarly 12 Sep 2022
In reply to rossiclimbz:

Hi Rossi, 

The climbing areas that Stroppy has mentioned are amazing and are a couple of hours or more drive away from Barcelona.

There are closer crags too which are worthwhile as per the Hot Rock guide.

https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/barcelona-hot-rock/9788461705801/

Toerag 12 Sep 2022
In reply to rossiclimbz:

I think many of the inland climbing areas (as in the Costa Daurada guidebook) can and do suffer snow in winter - they're at quite high altitude (1000m).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...