UKC

Vans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGrit 12 Sep 2022

I'm going around in circles with this and I'm guessing there might be a bit of collective knowledge on here for advice.

I'm considering buying a van based people carrier. Not a camper but something we can get all of the camping stuff, bikes, kids in. Use it for days out, make brews, take shelter from the elements. Maybe enough room for 1 or two to sleep. The ubiquitous day van I guess. Flexible seating is pretty essential - easily remove seats for cargo, turn seats around etc for convenience. Don't have a huge amount to spend (possibly £15K at a push).

Caravelles tick most boxes but mostly above budget. Other options again are high price or very utilitarian (citroen dispatch, Peugeot Expert etc).

Had a look a Japanese imports like the Alphard etc. Honda Stepwagon looks pretty spot on - but then happened to notice the fuel economy and all of these imports seem to get way less than 25 mpg even on motorways. Even if fuel was cheaper than it is this seems unjustifiable in this day and age.

Anything I've overlooked? Any mods for other 8 seater van based people carriers to make them a bit more cut out for this sort of thing? 

annieman 12 Sep 2022
In reply to NorthernGrit:

VW Caddy Kombi

midgen 12 Sep 2022

I've got an Alphard with a day van conversion. It's the 3.0l petrol, and I get around 29 MPG on motorways (450 ish miles from a 70l tank). I don't think it's unreasonable for a van.

Gwain 13 Sep 2022

Hi , maybe a transit style van with a crew cab would suit you. FWD is normally more economical. A large boot for bikes ,etc , and if there's no central bulk head you can use the whole length of the rear for transporting stuff. I used one with removable seats for a few years. If you want some pics, drop me a line. 

Cheers,

Gwain. 

Kenny Stocker 13 Sep 2022

I picked up a Kombi for 15k a couple of years. Initially I was looking at a Transit because I quite liked the styling and the whole world appeared to have the Transporter and it felt like such a cliche. However I wanted the factory fitted second row of seats for kids so ended up going with the flow. And hey, it turns our there is a good reason it has pretty much become the defacto day van! Rear seats can be easily removed and I fitted the Kiravan swivel seat. Couple of years later I saved up a bit and put a pop up roof in which really does create liveable space and give us all a bit of breathing room.

It wasn't the cheapest option, but did best fit my criteria so has been great value in the long run.

Other small vans I personally like the look of are the Transit Connect and is cheaper than the VW Caddy. Smaller still there are quite a few camper conversion kits available for vehicles like the Citroën Berlingo.

montyjohn 13 Sep 2022

How many seats do you need?

If 7 is enough what you're describing to me is a Land Rover Discovery. Stick a roof tent on top and you're golden.

If you need more, why not something like a Sprinter. Available at any budget, reliable, quick [for a van] (used for ambulances quite a lot).

You can get a 16 seaters way under your budget if that's what you need.

Toby_W 13 Sep 2022

I utterly utterly love my Caravelle and bought it for all the reasons you describe.  It was more expensive despite getting an ex airline taxi with about a billion miles on but it is immaculate inside which is trying as it will not remain in that state!

The seats, the space, the comfort, my kids love it and they are the biggest reason I got it as it allows me to bring their friends or ours on outings to the beach etc etc.  Long journeys are now a pleasure.  I have got roof bars to fit my Kayaks on and a bike rack for the back

I think quite a few other vehicles would have done but I'm 6'3 and have hated again and again being cramped up in the back of even bigger cars and did not want to inflict that on anyone I gave a lift to.

I'm sure you can find something as good or better that is not a VW and it sounds like you know what you want it to do which it the key!

Very good luck with the hunt!

Toby

In reply to Toby_W:

This thread is reminding me how much I miss our 'velle

colinakmc 13 Sep 2022

Never owned any of these but used to hire a 9-12 seater once a month, usually Vivaro or VW. My impression was that the VW was very well made but so was the Vauxhall, as well as being a little more comfortable, a bit nicer to drive and MUCH cheaper to buy. The Vivaro in LWB form also had a little more space behind all the seats, I think.

For my money I think I’d look at the Vivaro/Trafic - unless I was going to keep it 20 years.

MarkAstley 13 Sep 2022

Merc Vito?

5 seats, double sliding doors with windows.

Boss had one that hit 240k and current one on a 13 plate has 140k. 

Used in his construction business and for everything else inc camping/ climbing trips and lasts well. Classed as a car so not subject to lower speed limits. 116 diesel 6 speed. Very quick but could be economical if you drive sensibly.  At 33mpg av but it's not (usually) driven sensibly. 

Mark

DanH9883 13 Sep 2022

I've been thinking about something like this myself... I've been looking at the Transit Connect DCiV. The rear seats are factory fitted and the van has been reinforced more than a panel van to bear in mind the passengers in the back.

Theres a clever sliding bulkhead so it more foroward when you fold the rear seats up and the L2 (LWB) has a big boot space still with the seats in. 

They don't to have side windows or much upholstery in the back but i'm thinking of doing this bit myself. The Tourneo is the same thing but sold as a car rather than a van.  But its rare to get decent spec transit connect (air-con etc). They are out there but from what i can see you'd be lucky to find one close to home!

guffers_hump 13 Sep 2022
In reply to MarkAstley:

You can get 7 seater Vito's as well. Good vans tbf. Nice and wide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...