UKC

Life without local gear shops. Going to Llanberis, recommendations pls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lizzie789 17 Oct 2022

Hi!

Live in Oxford and the gear shopping options are non existent nearby, bar go outdoors really, and that’s not sufficient.

So, I’m in Llanberis for a few days (doing a navigation course at Plas Y Brenin)… very excited. But also have booked an extra nights accommodation, purely to go shopping the next day. Historically have mainly been climber,  and one who hasn’t really invested in outdoor kit other than my rack. Bit older now and enjoying actually having a few nice bits of outdoor clothes, and being warmer. Also starting to get interested in the hillwalking side of things but early in my journey etc. Have a trip to Scotland in Nov and want to be equipped. Likely to do scrambling.

But which shops do people prefer there? Just been to Betys Coed and bought some soft shell walking trousers from Cotswold. I have my BMC discount logged (and have lost my card so not sure how to evidence membership in a new shop). I’m an affiliated member through club membership.

Also must haves for Scotland?

on my list is walking poles, B1 boots, a decent mid layer. Waterproof stuff bag. Foil emergency wrapper. Whistle. 

Existing kit: new soft shell trousers, old cheapest berghaus waterproof trousers, synthetic rab down jacket, soft shell jacket, waterproof. Socks. Merino wool base layer. Basic thin old fleece. Thick rab fleece unlikely to take a bulky. Several pairs of gloves and found some others I like which I will buy I think. Several hats. Buffs. Emergency v thin windoroof (£50 rab one, v light weight and small). 

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789: forgot- also going to buy crampons. And borrow an ice axe off a friend.

tjdodd 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

Joe Brown in Llanberis or Capel Curig

felt 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

> Also must haves for Scotland?

The dreaded gaiters

chris_r 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

Joe Brown and V12 are both excellent. Knowledgeable staff who won't rush you into buying stuff you don't need.

planetmarshall 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

> But which shops do people prefer there? Just been to Betys Coed and bought some soft shell walking trousers from Cotswold.

Nothing wrong with Cotswold but if you're in the area I'd echo the sentiment to visit V12 in Llanberis. Even living the Peak I still get a lot of kit from there.

> Also must haves for Scotland?

Midge net. Yes, even in Winter - the resilient little bastards.

In reply to lizzie789:

So many good independents in North Wales!

Definitely need to visit V12, Joe Browns and also Crib Goch is worth a look around.

Cotswold is great for the staples but the others have a much more interesting range.

In reply to lizzie789:

Sorry to be off topic a bit!

Just be prepared for Scotland in November to be anything from warm and wet to full on winter conditions (prayers offered!).  Rivers/burns in spate might provide problematic crossings or long route diversions.  Don't underestimate the power of water, even if it only appears knee deep.  Have some strategy and knowledge of techniques before attempting, though the best course of action is often avoidance.

Not wanting to do the egg sucking thing, but thought I'd point out the obvious as you say your hillwalking experience is limited.

Have a good time and make some good memories.

abr1966 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

For Scotland I'd really be thinking about good waterproofs.....good navigation too so maybe something waterproof to keep the map in....and a good headtorch! 

I'm in a similar kind of position....long climbing background but more about walking and being on the hill these days.....I learned the very cold and wet way that good kit is the way to go! 

john345= 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

Go to decathlon save a fortune, their Simond crampons and axes are good. Socks are excellent, same with their fleeces etc.

Bog ninja 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

If you are going to plas y brenin you will also be able to pick the brains of the instructors for gear advice and advice about hillwalking in Scotland more generally. I think they do some Scottish winter courses as well even though it’s the national mountain centre for England and Wales.  You may also be able to try on some kit at the centre itself before you go on your shopping spree, particularly boots. If getting some b1 boots, maybe go for a walk in the morning to allow your fit to swell before fitting them, ideally in the afternoon. The shops the others have mentioned are good 

jasonC abroad 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

I've been using Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Compression Sacs, I found that the large ones were too big for my needs but they seem to perform well, but I found that backpack cover worked really well during a day of total heavy rain.

Not got much input about kit but I'd be interested in finding out how the course went, looking to do it myself at some point.

Jason

scope 17 Oct 2022
In reply to lizzie789:

You can get your BMC card digitally by logging in to the website. Not a simple process the first time round.

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to felt:

Yea forgot about those. I’ve got some already so can add that to my existing kit list.

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Ghastlyrabbitfat:

Thanks, appreciate it. Not going off on my own and will be learning from others who are more experienced. Well hopefully anyway, otherwise finding a fire and a pub!

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to abr1966:roger that, might extend to waterproof trousers too, although the ones I’ve got are actually ok and my waterproof jacket is pretty good, a bit old but marmot. Testes the waterproof trousers this weekend in wales and they kept my legs dry in torrential rain so probs won’t spurge on these.

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to jasonC abroad:

Cool thanks- feel free to message me after weds next week as I’ll have done the course by then.

OP lizzie789 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thank you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...