UKC

Voyage Round the Top of the World by Jeffrey Allison

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 25 Oct 2022

One of my friends was intrigued by a boat in a boatyard in Hartlepool and asked about her and discovered the story behind it which was a clockwise trip in one season by Jeffrey Allison through the North West Passage which weaves across the top of Canada and Alaska and the North East Passage which skirts Norway and Russia. He was also a climber in his younger years, one of his first ascents being the brilliant High Crag Buttress at Buttermere. MY pal was intrigued enough to seek out the above book which he then lent to me. The book can be found here https://www.carolinebrannigan.com/memoirs-by-caroline-brannigan.php  ... quite a fascinating story if you like that sort of thing

Slackboot 26 Oct 2022
In reply to JimR:

I did some work for a lovely 'upbeat' lady a few years ago. When she found out I was a climber she told me about her late husband who had also been a climber and had done first ascents in the Alps etc when he was young. In later years he had done more sailing. She said he wasn't daunted by anything and would just go and 'do stuff' if the idea came into his head. I had a great chat with her about her husbands adventures and I remember thinking he must gave been quite a guy!

Your post has just rekindled these memories as it turns out I was chatting to Jeffrey Allisons widow!  I always meant to read a bit about him and your post has reminded me. Thanks for posting.

Pedro50 26 Oct 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

I recognise the name, he was an alumnus of Nottingham University and the NUMC some years before me. Older club members remembered him with respect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...