UKC

Tick marks indoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 10 Dec 2022

What the title says, I mean is this even necessary? It's a massive obvious hold...

Ciro 10 Dec 2022
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Well, it looks quite deliberate so presumably someone thought it was necessary to have a visual marker of the exact part of the hold they wanted to hit quickly, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

Given it's a plastic hold in a dedicated training venue that will be caked and brushed continuously until it's taken down and jet washed by staff, I'm not sure what the objection would be?

Isn't that the start hold on that black V6??

How you gon' need a tick mark on the start hold???? Plus you can see all of that hold from every position on the whole problem.

It's a wtf from me.

ianstevens 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

As said above, it's probably for a quick and specific foot placement. As also said... it's indoors, who gives a shit. Strong old man shouts at cloud energy here.

In reply to ianstevens:

I've done that very problem a good number of times now. Foot can go literally anywhere on that hold with no constraint or consequence. It's massive. And there's no move where you're not looking right at it anyway.

Post edited at 13:46
 scragrock 10 Dec 2022

What a fabulously nuanced discussion.

In other news, lets talk about the burgeoning romance between you and "LongsufferinGropeholder". have you 2 considered meeting up in a neutral but beautiful location and singing the pina colada song? 

You could ironically write "D&L Forever" in chalk on your local climbing wall, i suspect like your young love it will diminish and fade just like most tick marks. 

I do hope you are feeling better tomorrow 

Shani 10 Dec 2022

I regularly use tick marks indoors. I've also started to introduce chipping indoors. Ethics evolve with the time. Go with it.

In reply to Shani:

> I regularly use tick marks indoors. 

I mean..... People do, when there's a screw on hidden round an arete or something. That makes sense. It's not that uncommon. This isn't that.

Misha 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Shani:

I drill extra bolts if necessary. Especially at bouldering walls.

In reply to Misha:

Ok if we're gonna do this properly next time I go in I'll walk across the flowerbeds on the way in, leave the door open and drop some litter around the place. When they try to close I'll bust out my floodlight, have a little schmoke and carry on for a few more hours.

bouldery bits 10 Dec 2022

It's not a tick mark.

It's beginning of a tally. 

OP dinodinosaur 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

You're forgetting the send footy, the obnoxiously loud music and "allez"

OP dinodinosaur 10 Dec 2022
In reply to scragrock:

If we were to ever meet in person I'm sure a bromance too strong for UKC to handle will form... I can't let that happen for the sake of humanity 

Holdtickler 10 Dec 2022

Maybe is wasn't a tick and was someone playing eliminator and forgot to brush it off. Just a thought if it was an obvious starting hold...

steve taylor 11 Dec 2022
In reply to Shani:

> I regularly use tick marks indoors. I've also started to introduce chipping indoors. Ethics evolve with the time. Go with it.

Do you bring your own bluetooth speaker too, to drown out the bland wall musak? If not, you're missing a trick  

j_duds 11 Dec 2022
In reply to Misha:

I've started to add pegbolts, they get less bad press than bolts as people don't notice the difference. 

Misha 11 Dec 2022
In reply to j_duds:

I was wondering what that weird bolt was the other day. 

OP dinodinosaur 11 Dec 2022
In reply to j_duds:

Do we even need to add extra pegs inside as it's basically top roping equipped as closely as it is anyway?

Misha 11 Dec 2022

Depends if it’s stupid setting which makes it hard to clip. Always room for more 😉

How do we know it's chalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...