UKC

Best (warmest) socks for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 19 Dec 2022

Bridgedale, Smartwool...?

Winter walking would be sooo much more enjoyable if my toes weren't so bloody cold!

felt 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Smartwool are my warmest, but Darn Tough are the most comfortable by a margin.

Andypeak 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I've always liked Bridgedale Summit socks although I think they have changed the name now. 

OP Glyno 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

> I've always liked Bridgedale Summit socks although I think they have changed the name now. 

Yes, I was recommended those yesterday. I think they're called 'Explorer' now

OP Glyno 19 Dec 2022
In reply to felt:

> Smartwool are my warmest, but Darn Tough are the most comfortable by a margin.

I've used Smartwool winter socks in the past but found them to go a bit baggy and shapeless over a few washes. I'll have to investigate Darn Tough.

Post edited at 16:11
 Harry Jarvis 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Looking outside the usual outdoor brands, I've recently bought a couple of pairs of these:

https://www.hj.co.uk/wellington-hj608

They are excellent. 

felt 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Re keeping warm, the problem might be your boots? 

Carless 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I've always found Thorlo to be warm & comfortable

nathan79 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I always swore by Brasher 4-season socks. Got 2 pairs still going but they don't make them anymore.

I've been considering a pair of Horizon Expedition or Extreme socks. Both incorporate Primaloft in the weave, one modern is longer than the other.

Lorpen do some super warm ones too.

Basemetal 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I'd recommend Smartwool Mountaineers, if you have room in your boots for them. I'm happy all day winter climbing (so lots of 'standing' still) with them as single socks, even in boots folk have described as cold (Scarpa Triolet). Just as happy with them all day hillwalking. My lighter weight option are Costco Merino mix hiking socks (about an eighth of the price of the SMs).

David Bennett 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

If warmth is your only factor (not cost) then you should have a look at Lorpen Primaloft socks.

In reply to felt:

> Re keeping warm, the problem might be your boots? 

Or a hat.

I've just stocked up cheaply on Bridgedales at TK Maxx, since I find they last very well. I've tried various other such as SmartWool, but they hole too quickly.

TobyA 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I don't find that socks make that much difference, it is far more likely it is your boots that are too tight, or at least laced too tight if you are getting cold feet all the time. If you try cramming too thick socks into snug boots, you'll likely make it worse as you cut down the circulation. When winter climbing before putting crampons on I often tighten my laces to get maximum climbing performance. Then by the top of pitch 1 my toes are freezing. I stop panicking, loosen my boots a bit (particularly over the foot - ankle can be snug - and my toes warm up and I realise for umpteenth time I'm not Dave Macleod on a new IX, i'm a weekend punter on a grade IV and I could climbing these routes decades ago in sloppy bucket double plastic boots, so I can definitely climb them now in really light, fantastic modern boots with the laces not completely cranked to the max!

petegunn 19 Dec 2022
 ScraggyGoat 19 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Darn tough are very good.

But as Toby A says look at boot fit which could be the cause. If space and circulation constriction is the issue consider trying a thinner footbed, less tight lacing and less sock thickness, or combination of the above. Also check your gaiter calf strap or even sock elastic isn’t cutting off blood supply.  

Very unusual to get cold feet winter walking when you are moving all the time, unless your feet are soaked or using very light boots, or have an underlying medical condition?

Post edited at 22:22
 Pero 20 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

> Bridgedale, Smartwool...?

> Winter walking would be sooo much more enjoyable if my toes weren't so bloody cold!

One reason your hands and feet get cold is that your body shuts off the circulation to them. It may do this if your core is getting cold. I'd review your winter clothing generally.

Also, in my experience, once you get cold it's difficult to warm back up. So you may be sitting around too long at breaks. In winter it's best to have frequent short breaks and keep moving as much as possible.

Jon Greengrass 20 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I've found Injinji Hiker merino outersocks combined with their Merino liner toesocks warmer than my Thorlo Expedition socks.

Make sure that you're using  insoles that have a foil heat reflecting layer this makes a big difference.

Switching from conventional walking boots with a pointed last to "Barefoot" style boots based on a foot shaped last, gives my toes more room and helps maintain circulation. Only downside is the soles are flexible so limited to flexible microspikes rather than regular crampons.

OP Glyno 20 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Loads of good info and advise - thanks!

tehmarks 20 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

The aforementioned Lorpen insulated socks are seriously warm - but Toby is spot on in my personal experience. I can wear a pair of those socks in my B3s and I'll have cold feet all day, because there's not enough volume in the boot for them. A thin woolly sock is paradoxically warmer because it allows better circulation.

yorkshire_lad2 21 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

Useful thoughts on this thread.  I'm needing to get some more for winter walking so good points all round.  tgo Feb 2023 just arrived on the doormat and has a short article on socks and covers: Darn Tough, Bridgedale and Lorpen (I have no connection with tgo other than as a subscriber).

CantClimbTom 21 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

If you really get cold feet, you could try wearing thin trainer liner socks and then some 3mm neoprene wetsuit socks. Worn in a pair of wellies that have some old thin trainer at insoles added to them (depends on fit, in my case it's either the insoles or the neoprene socks as I don't have enough space for both comfortably)

That should see you right on UK hills right up until the point microspikes aren't enough and you need crampons, in which case it's end of the road for the wellies tactic. Until that point it works a treat, I've even waded about in chest deep freezing filthy water feeling decidedly parky but feet were still toasty.

EdS 23 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

I've binned / not replaced most of my fancy walking socks and gone traditional style....

West Yorkshire Spinners - Yorkshire made for British wool

https://www.wyspinners.com/luxury-socks

Done all of the last years walking in them inc 15 miles plus with 15 -20kg sack.

Also wear them over winter in beating on a weather prone shoot 

timparkin 23 Dec 2022
In reply to Glyno:

If anybody wants a bit of Birchy background, here's something I wrote a while back

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2016/09/birch-tree-landscape-photography/

felt 23 Dec 2022
 timparkin 23 Dec 2022
In reply to felt:

Ha! thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...