UKC

Footwear for Nepal 6000m approach treks - what is a 'trekking boot'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLittle 08 Feb 2023

Hi all, I'm off to Nepal to climb Lobuche East and cannot figure out what shoes are needed for the approach trek.

At home in Scotland, I have B2 boots for winter/wet and mostly use trail runners for approach and scrambling in summer - nothing in between anymore. As I have to buy something new, I would ideally get something useful beyond Nepal:

• an approach shoe like the Tx4 (which fits me well and seems to offer a fair bit of support, at least compared to my salomon senses). Two advantages here - a better alternative to many of my approaches in Scotland (leather but non-gtx for wet) and alpine routes in summer; a useful hiking shoe for hot India, where I will spend a few months after Nepal.
  • A really comfortable leather boot that will last me ten years with good maintenance, for use trekking and for wet shoulder seasons. Scarpa Ranger fits me well.

My questions, then:

1. Is a Tx4 type approach shoe a bad idea for this trek?
  2. What is a trekking boot - as the Ranger seems to be billed as rambling/hill-walking, is it suitable for trekking for two weeks or do I need something stiffer?
  3. Will my partner be fine in a Tx5 boot where the fit is really good?

Thanks in advance - I know these sorts of questions are asked all the time but I haven't found the answer on other threads!

(PS extra question: I had hoped to find a guide to help me and partner climb Gran Paradiso in early March as practice at altitude but not getting any replies. Confirming it is a bad idea to go for it without a guide? with mainly scottish winter ii experience and summer alpine - ie one axe, and a decent idea of good glacier practice but not huge experience).

wjcdean 08 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

the paths are good quality. Approach shoes all the way

mcawle 08 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Regarding Gran Paradiso - I haven't been there in March but my understanding is that it's generally ski touring all the way through May and so some kind of flotation would be needed. 

Whether that's true this year or not with dry winter I've heard they've had, I don't know. Or if you might get away with snow shoes. But worth noting that a quick google reveals companies apparently selling ski touring of Gran Paradiso all the way through May, e.g. https://www.chamex.com/trip_courses/gran-paradiso-ski-tour

So snow conditions/depth and avalanche conditions are probably the primary considerations and may be why you're not hearing back.

OP JLittle 08 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Re ski mountaineering, that makes a lot of sense. And would be ideal but that my partner doesn't ski. Will keep the practice to Scotland then!

Reassuring to hear about the paths too, thanks. Still not quite sure what to make of the Rangers but there you go.

Edit: thanks to both for your replies.

Post edited at 16:31
 mcawle 08 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Yes, I meant more that I wouldn't expect it to be a walkable mountain at that time rather than suggesting touring as alternative training - sorry if that was unclear.

Hope you have a great trip!

twoshoes 08 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Nothing directly helpful I'm afraid, but I happily walked around beneath kanchenjunga for two weeks in tx2s with no issues, and have done shorter treks in lighter shoes. 

Whether they, or scarpa rangers, work for you is something only you can say I think. 

andrewm1000 16 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle: as said, trails to Lobuche area (main starting point for the climb) are good, more stony, rocky than grassy and any comfy trail shoes are fine for the approach. Check the many YouTube videos. Could be boots if you usually wear them but nothing special needed if fit is good, comfy with insoles etc. Whatever you would walk in, in Scotland that’s comfy for 5 for 6 hours walking each day is fine. If you are walking in the main season April-May you’ll even see some people with trainers. If you go early season or winter Dec-Feb it’s good to take some micro-spikes as a few very short (100m) parts of the trail here and there get icy, so spikes useful.
This is of course for the walk in and not for the climb when you’ll wear double boots from Lobuche or Dzongla whichever way you go up. I’m in Nepal each year on that trail and currently there now for 6 months. regards Andrew

GemmaMunro 16 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Hello

Do you know which route you are taking to approach Lobuche? We trekked in to Gokyo then over the Cho La. If you are used to walking in approach shoes you should be fine with TX4s for most of the approach trek. Only caveat being the day over the Cho La where there is a brief stretch on glacier/neve. I used Salamon Speedcross trainers for most of the approach but did have a mid cut lightweight boot for a couple of the days and was glad of the extra protection they offered on the Cho La day. I would imagine the snow varies from season to season. We were there in early November. 

If I was going again I would take something like the Scarpa R-Evo which is as light and comfy as my approach shoes but stiff enough to kick steps in snow for short passages like the Cho La. 

If you are approaching via the Everest valley trainers will be fine. 

Gran Paradiso will be hard work without skis in March. It's technically a straightforward ascent provided you are competent in glacier travel and happy to negotiate a short rock step at the summit but as to whether you need a guide or not is really for you to decide  

Enjoy Nepal! 

Iain 

OP JLittle 20 Feb 2023
In reply to JLittle:

Thanks Andrew and Iain, and all others for your helpful replies!

I am going in May, and going via Gokyo and the Cho La pass to Lobuche. As my TX4s are not GTX it sounds like I'll be better off in the Scarpa Rangers, even though they're rather heavy (good training..?). Bought them and used them now, cheap at least.

May bring both then, as well as crocs for camp, although that's starting to seem a lot like luxury!

I've cancelled the Gran Paradiso trip - juggling costs not the least reason - so will just do more tours around Scotland instead. Would it be madness to break in the double boots on a Scottish I/II, assuming good conditions?

Looking forward to it, thanks again - and maybe see you out there Andrew!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...