UKC

What knot do I need?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 04 Mar 2023

I've got a square wooden frame that I want to stabilise by having two diagonal ropes. I have an eyelet at each corner. What knot do I want so that I can tie on it and then yank on it to add (quite a bit of) tension to the rope?

I tried a taut line hitch but I couldn't really get enough tension on it.

Hooo 04 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

I would use a truckers hitch.

montyjohn 04 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

Ratchet straps

jkarran 04 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

Form loops (whatever knot you prefer), tension them with a Spanish windlass, lock it off to the other diagonal and visa versa.

Or yeah, ratchet straps.

Jk

Maggot 04 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

How about getting or making some tent guy line tensioner jobbies?

GrahamD 05 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

It you really want tight, make a complete loop between corners. Put a stick through the loop and wind away.

OP ewanjp 05 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

thanks all, was hoping there was some magical knot that my google foo was too poor to find.

deepsoup 05 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

+1 to the suggestion of ratchet straps.

Here's another idea you could try though - three ropes.  Tie two along each of the long sides using a trucker's hitch to tighten them if necessary (or perhaps one big loop all the way around the outside). 

Then use a third to pull the centres together, you could wrap it around them a couple of times to give you a bit of mechanical advantage and progress capture.

I'm not guaranteeing it'll work, guessing a bit.  Might need a bit of trial and error to get the tension in the sides right so that you can just barely bring the centres together.

Hang on a sec..  here's a sketch..

deepsoup 05 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Oh - it just occurred to me that you could probably modify that idea a little bit to work very well with the Spanish windlass suggested above.  Two ropes on the long sides, and make it so you can just about stretch them both into the middle, where you pop a stick in between them and wind it up tight from there.

In reply to ewanjp:

Can you thread an Italian hitch on one end and use a jumar and a pulley to give you a 3 to 1. Then just tie off the Italian? 

In reply to ewanjp:

The thing is, knots lock off but they won't introduce tension. You could use a prussik or a barrel knot to capture progress, but you're never going to get the sort of tension you would get without some sort of mechanical advantage aka ratchets or pulleys etc. The stick idea someone suggested is quite clever, you could tie off the stick afterwards. 

DaveR 06 Mar 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

The truckers hitch, that has been suggested, will introduce tension. 

Rick Graham 06 Mar 2023
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> The thing is, knots lock off but they won't introduce tension. You could use a prussik or a barrel knot to capture progress, but you're never going to get the sort of tension you would get without some sort of mechanical advantage aka ratchets or pulleys etc. The stick idea someone suggested is quite clever, you could tie off the stick afterwards.

Using a tarbuck knot can be good to lock off, especially  if used with extra threading to gain mechanical advantage, with or without pulleys.

Climbing ropes will lose tension as the rope relaxes with time. Better to use ropes not made out of nylon.

LastBoyScout 06 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

How big is the frame and what are the eyelets made of - how much friction is in them?

Depending on that answer, I'd either tie the rope ends into the corners and use a truckers hitch to tension, or just use a running loop and a truckers hitch.

If you really want tension, then I'd 2nd the suggestion of roof rack straps - small ratchet ones of those are quite cheap and also won't stretch much.

EarlyBird 06 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

I agree with those that have suggested the Trucker's hitch. Simple and effective. You can even tie it so it self locks as you tension the line. Lots of examples on YouTube.

CantClimbTom 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> Can you thread an Italian hitch on one end and use a jumar and a pulley to give you a 3 to 1. Then just tie off the Italian? 

Obviously dismissing ratchet straps straight away as too sensible.

Wide_Mouth_frog is the only answer so far that makes any effort to introduce climbing equipment in any quantity. Surely for this forum points should be awarded for each krab used, double your points for including any more complex equipment which can be doubled again if one piece of equipment interacts with another, and the level of overcomplexity is the tie-breaker if needed. 

I'm going to propose: using a couple of slings in a very very wide angled sliding X, top and bottom (standard krabs) and applying tension between these with a bit of rope and a grigri (belay krab) to capture progress but tensioned with a hand jammer and pulley (Oval krab essential)

Post edited at 17:00
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Obviously dismissing ratchet straps straight away as too sensible.

This is obviously the simplest solution. 

> Surely for this forum points should be awarded for each krab used, double your points for including any more complex equipment which can be doubled again if one piece of equipment interacts with another, and the level of overcomplexity is the tie-breaker if needed. 

Do I get any nerd points for pointing out that, if not using ratchet straps, the OP doesn't need a knot. What they need is a hitch? 

montyjohn 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> Do I get any nerd points for pointing out that, if not using ratchet straps, the OP doesn't need a knot. What they need is a hitch? 

I think points should be deducted for saying this.

Myfyr Tomos 07 Mar 2023
In reply to ewanjp:

Drill the legs, insert 3/4" threaded rods with big washers. Tighten nuts with big spanner.

CantClimbTom 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Points deducted for using the Johnson/Farage favoured historical measurement system surely you meant 3/8 (slightly small 10mm) not 3/4? (19mm).

Myfyr Tomos 07 Mar 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

And remember the old agricultural adage. It doesn't matter if the threads match, as long as  your spanner is long enough!

Post edited at 23:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...