UKC

Inflatable Mattress Patch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stuart Wildman 06 Mar 2023

Hi

Can anyone recommend a patch for an inflatable mattress. Most have 3 out of 5 reviews, don't want a patch they will work some of the time

THanks

LastBoyScout 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Stuart Wildman:

How big is the hole?

I've used this to repair a Vango mat, among other things - works really well: https://outdoor.mcnett.eu/seamgrip/

james1978 06 Mar 2023

A bike repair kit does the job.

Thanks for the link.
I have gone into the small print and found out. "Your mattress appears to have a hole in it and you are probably wondering where the leak is coming from. Indeed, it is difficult to spot a hole in the mattress with the naked eye. Currently it is impossible to repair the top of the mattress, but if the hole is located on one of the sides, you can easily repair it. "

So I am following up with Decathlon to replace under warranty.

Shame they don't design it to be repairable, especially as the industry is promoting that more and more.

CantClimbTom 07 Mar 2023

If it's inside warranty then go that way, but if outside warranty despite them saying a repair is impossible I'd attempt to repair with seamgrip and a small suitable patch, however I'd want to run a little superglue round the edge to try to prevent the patch peeling off later (and do the super gluing while it is inflated)

Post edited at 10:43
 Stob Dearg 07 Mar 2023

If it is a pin hole I've had success with superglue by sucking a little glue into the hole and leaving a tiny drop on top and letting it set. 

I used this in a position where a patch wouldn't have worked (in a seam on the top where there was some flock/texture).  It was an emergency field fix but seems to have held. 

I guess anything you can get into the hole that sets might also work - I think I've done this with rubber compound as well.  Obviously you don't want to stick the two sides together (or stick yourself to the mat)!

Bike patches tend to fall off quickly in my experience but will last a few nights.

Rampart 10 Mar 2023

The patching kit that came with my Exped mat seems pretty good. As I recall it recommends applying a layer of the glue, waiting for it to cure, applying another layer, waiting again, applying a third and then topping off with the patch.
For those with less time on hand it allowed for one layer and then the patch, with the caveat that this is likely less of a permanent fix - but it seems to be holding out for my punctures Thermarest.

Possibly all academic, though, since I'm not sure what glue/fixative it was.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...