UKC

How the ... do I put the buttocks pads in my paramo aspira salopettes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grinch331 15 Mar 2023

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a pair of paramo aspira salopettes but am really struggling to find out where to put the buttocks pads into them? I can see the knee one quite obviously and have got them in and out via the inlet but cannot find ANYTHING remotely similar to it anywhere else.

The seller even messaged me a few days after they arrived and told me he couldnt figure it out either...!

I can see there is a small access point to the inner workings of the garment at the wee zipper but I haven't tried sticking them down there yet.

Anybody got any pointers for me? And my apologies if this sounds dumb of course

Cheers

Dave Garnett 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

Are you asking how to get your ass into gear?

Welsh Kate 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

I can't remember cos I took the buttock pads out of mine and threw them away. 

OP Grinch331 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I have to tell you Sir, I'm not even mad this is the first response on this thread. 

Hats off to you! 

OP Grinch331 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Oh I see, did you not find them any use?

Do you keep using the knee pads? 

In reply to Grinch331:

My Aspira trousers (may or may not be the same as salopettes?) have the same type of stitched slot openings as for knees; position is on each leg approx half way down the hamstring equivalent distance. Could the opening have been sewn up for some reason?

I always found Paramo customer service very good so you always contact them?

> I can see there is a small access point to the inner workings of the garment at the wee zipper

Definitely not there; that I think allows access down the front under the outer fabric for repair purposes. The outer and inner layers are not attached except at very top and bottom (ankles).

Fiona Reid 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

I don't believe I'm replying to this....

Butt (sorry), if the are the same as the Aspira trousers then there should be a small hole (about 3cm wide) on either leg, below the buttock. 

The hole is smaller than the width of the foam patch, you need to roll the foam like a tube to fit it through and it can then unroll into position. 

Post edited at 22:19
OP Grinch331 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Unfortunately I can see nothing of the sort with regards to an inlet at the hamstring/below the buttock area. I assume it looks similar to the knee one in which case it is definitely not there... It doesn't look like anything has been sewn (unless its that good it's just not noticeable).

I just realised the pictures feature is only available to UKC supporters of which I currently am not. This question was also posted by myself in a few large outdoors Facebook groups to no avail so was hoping somebody here would know the answer.

Would it be correct to assume I'll get banned if I link to an external site?

I have emailed Paramo but their response time said 4-5 days and these are to be used this Saturday so am getting a little bit impatient.

brian_m 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

I've got the trousers and on those there's a small slot on the inside at the back of the hamstring as others have said.

I almost never use them though as they don't breathe and I get a sweaty bum if walking, climbing or ski touring.

They are good for chairlifts and T-bars if downhill skiing in cold or wet conditions.

In reply to Grinch331:

Same as knee openings, and as Fiona said the holes are small and you have to roll the foam.

OP Grinch331 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Okay thanks for the picture, are these the trousers or the salopettes?

Mine certainly do not have this so it is no wonder I couldn't figure it out. There are no stitch marks or anything so I wonder if a repair had been done on these previously?

I'm not sure which year these ones are from exactly but I do know there are two models of aspira salopette. Still though, it wouldn't make sense to supply the pads if there's clearly no entrance inlet.

Post edited at 22:59
In reply to Grinch331:

Trousers. 

I have contacted Paramo by phone in the past and they have been helpful and dealt with the matter then. Maybe phone contact is not the same now with the pandemic, but if it’s urgent would be worth a try.

BTW, whilst I have used the bum and knee inserts, like others it has not been a must have. Useful for some situations, but, personally, I didn’t like them for default use.

Also, besides repairs, may have been sold as Seconds, etc., there may well have been changes over time of specifications or between the trousers and salopettes. Indeed I have a very vague memory that the bum inserts had been stopped at some point - like the internal gaiters. Mine have the gaiters. If you don’t have the gaiters then as a wild guess you may not have the inserts either. Inserts were available to be bought separately.

Post edited at 07:46
 abcdef 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

I have the salopettes (can't remember when I got them though, 10+ years ago) and while they have knee inserts there were never any supplied for the bum. Have just had a look and there are also no holes.

TBH I think they would be pretty annoying, particularly with a harness.

Paramo do make adjustments so you could retro-fit (I got an Aspira jacket made slimmer as it was ridiculously oversized, and my salopettes lengthened and gaiters removed if I remember correctly), but would be expensive for little benefit.

OP Grinch331 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

Ok seems like the consensus is clear, thanks again for all the responses. I am glad to see someone else with the salopettes has noted the same thing. Not sure where these pads came from then… might cut them up and replace the pad that should be in the back of my aspira jacket! Only got one for some reason.

Until next time! 

Welsh Kate 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Grinch331:

Seen in later comments that it may just be the trousers that had the buttock pads, and mine are trousers... But anyway, no I hated the foam, it felt like I was walking around in a nappy. The knee pads otoh are useful when kneeling and since I use them for MR that's good to have when dealing with casualties etc.

Fiona Reid 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I also felt like I was in a nappy and removed the foam from the backside in my trousers pretty quickly. The knee inserts are ace though 👌 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...