UKC

Lake district bike rides for 4 year old, near Ambleside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 24 Apr 2023

I'm going to Ambleside soon with the family. Our four year old's just recently learned to ride his bike. All my previous visits to the Lake District have revolved around finding the hilliest terrain so I don't know any nice, flat paths he could ride it on. Can anyone give any recommendations please?

Obviously bonus points for being very scenic and beautiful views near lakes, and it also needs to be pretty close to Ambleside ideally, and have parking.

I don't care how long it is, more likely than not we'd just be going out for half an hour and then back or something like that, we won't be doing any big committing loops!

Thanks all

Mark Eddy 24 Apr 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

Under Loughrigg to Rydal then along the lake shore.

Drive to High Cross and start a Grizedale loop from there

Elterwater to Stickle Barn

Take the ferry from Bowness to the Western shore and cycle the lakeshore northwards to Wray castle and back. 

Exile 24 Apr 2023

If shorter and flatter needed -

Elterwater to Skelwith Bridge and back. 

Tillberthwaite towards Hodge Close on cycle paths

From Coniston pack along the path that parallels the road to the Tillberthwaite turning. 

plyometrics 24 Apr 2023
In reply to Exile:

Yup. The Elterwater Skelwith combo is a great shout. The pit stop at Chester’s being the highlight. 

The lakes shore between Wray Castle and Joey's Cafe is perfect. We've done it with both kids when they were 4. I've done it running with them and cycling with them. It's not all tarmac but it's surfaced off road rather than difficult terrain.

The awesome adventure playground at Wray Castle was damaged in the storms and isn't signposted anymore but if you look behind the picnic area the castle and things are still there. The fun Beatrix potter kids things in the castle are gone now too which is a shame but mine enjoyed throwing stones into the lake for ages instead!

In reply to Mark Eddy:

Is there a kid friendly loop at grizdale now? It's a few years since we've been but I don't remember there being a green or blue loop.

Lhod 24 Apr 2023

The Threlkeld to Keswick railway path is flat and smooth tarmac, plus scenic and pleasant. We did a car drop off and went 1 way (about 5km) from T to K last summer with a 4 and 5 year old, or you could easily park at one end and do a shorter out-and-back. Would recommend! 

mike123 25 Apr 2023
In reply to Lhod: this ^ . Park in Keswick at the old leisure pool . Off-road all the way until just before threlkeld .go as far as you want . Steepish up hill to concrete bridge at first then   steepish down a twisty board walk to the river . Watch him on this bit .  Then  gently up hilll to threkkejd  along the river / old railway line . Loads of places to stop and fart around by the river . I did it loads when my kids see that age as there very little that’s flat ish around here . 

weeve 03 May 2023

If he/she can ride well then suggest also visit the pump track in Keswick park just after the cricket club and swings. Lots of fun if not busy. If you see an old bloke unable to chase/match his tiny son as he clears the doubles say hi...   

Post edited at 15:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...