UKC

Mountain travel insurance with existing medical conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMc1 30 May 2023

Hoping someone here might be able to help.

I've just been diagnosed with a rare chronic blood disorder called Essential Thrombocythaemia (ET). 

For those who haven't heard of ET (and I hadn't a fortnight ago), it's technically a slow-growing cancer, which causes the bone marrow to produce too many platelets (blood-clotting cells).  For most people it's not life threatening (or shortening, apparently), although ET can lead to increased risk of blood clots, etc.  More info here if you're interested - https://media.leukaemiacare.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Essential-Thrombocyth...

I'm judged to be low risk, and I'm not receiving any treatment at present, nor am I due to in the foreseeable future.  I'm still fit and healthy, and I have no symptoms.  

I'm trying to find travel insurance that will cover me for a trip to the Dolomites for some high-level walking and via ferrata later this year (as well as future climbing and skiing trips), and which will include this existing diagnosis/condition.  

The BMC have already said they would exclude ET from any insurance they offered me, as have Snowcard.  And all the insurers I've found that will cover this as an existing condition (such as Aviva) specifically exclude climbing, mountaineering and via ferrata.  

I don't want this to stop me from doing the things I love - so any advice gratefully received.  

Thanks.

jonny taylor 30 May 2023
In reply to TMc1:

Tesco insurance appear to be quite open to pre-existing medical conditions - they use a third-party assessor (online portal) that asks what seem like the right questions in order to make an assessment of risk. I don't know if they will cover mountaineering etc, but you could try them if you want another suggestion to try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...