UKC

REVIEW: Edelrid Salathe Lite - the best helmet is the one you'll want to wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Jun 2023

The last thing you want to be thinking about halfway up a pitch is your helmet. This lightweight and well-vented model should be easy to forget, says Tom Ripley - and he means that in the best way. 

Read more

TobyA 13 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Good timing - I was looking at my third generation Petzl Meteor the night and notice the rubbery soft coating to hard plastic cradle parts was peeling away and breaking off. I suspect it won't affect the safety on the helmet but might not be the most comfortable thing - my first and second generation meteors both did about 10 years of service before I replaced them so this is a bit disappointing after only 4.5 years! 

I figured I'd just splash out on a Sirocco like everyone else, but would at least like to try the Salathe Lite before I buy. The Edelrid Shield from this review https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/helmets/helmets-4905 was my favourite from that selection and I used it a lot - still occasionally do although it's getting long in the tooth. So my head has fit Edelrid lids well at least in the past. Has anyone seen the Salathe Lites in a shop in the Peak/Sheffield area? Outside Hathersage which normally has the best selection don't seem to stock them, despite having lots of other Edelrid kit.

climber34neil 13 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Sounds like you need a trip to lundy and pop into banana fingers on the way 

Alex Riley 13 Jun 2023
In reply to climber34neil:

The regular black salathe can be picked up cheap too, I got mine for about £65. I like it, it's super light and most importantly fits well.

McHeath 13 Jun 2023

Thanks for the (for me) timely review. Just got back from the Frankenjura where I took a 7m fall while attempting to clip a high 2nd bolt. My partner caught me perfectly, but I inverted and my head made contact with a rock on the ground. The cheapo Decathlon helmet did its job, no damage done, but I‘ll be looking around for a new one.

Wear those helmets, folks!

Dark-Cloud 13 Jun 2023

Is it a Salathe or Salate, you need to make you mind up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...