UKC

Climbing and skiing in Georgia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimmynisbet01 21 Jun 2023

I am looking to spend a season in Georgia in 2024. The aim would be to get into the world of guiding out there for Alpine climbs and skiing. 

I dont currently have recognised qualifications but have a good amount of experience. 

does anyone know what the scene out there is like or of someone who might be able to recommend how best to go about organising. 

Removed User 21 Jun 2023
In reply to jimmynisbet01:

Rather a lot of active war zones in that part of the world for my liking currently!

TobyA 21 Jun 2023

Why Georgia? Do you speak Georgian? Do you have any right to work there? What is the situation around work permits? Do you have any contacts in the country?

This seems so random an idea to be asking about here on UKC, I'm kind of wondering if your next post is going to be some weird pro-Putin thing or just bog-standard anti-vax nonsense...?

OP jimmynisbet01 21 Jun 2023

Have heard the snow out there is meant to be pretty incredible. Untouched place. As it stands currently no active aggression from Russia there.

But not here to discuss political views etc. more just asking for some friendly advice if anyone has any of the scene out there or know anyone who does.  

thanks for the replies though! Dw no pro putin or anti vax rubbish here!

mcawle 21 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Given that he's flagged as a UKC Supporter, which I believe always requires a subscription payment, and has been registered since Dec 2020, I feel the odds of OP turning out to be a bot or troll etc. are perhaps less than might otherwise be feared.

TobyA 21 Jun 2023

A friend was skiing there in February on an Eagle Ski Club meet. Don't know who organised it though, but it might be worth contacting that club. It looked amazing but Dave said the main problem was too much snow and very high avalanche risk that really limited where they could ski. 

OP jimmynisbet01 21 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks mate. Glad I passed your test…

TobyA 21 Jun 2023

But seriously - do you know anything about Georgia? Is it possible to get a work visa etc? How much does it cost to rent somewhere to live (I imagine with all the Russian emigres there avoiding the war rent has to have gone up)?

On active aggression, it sort of depends on what you consider aggression. They are still annexing land. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/18/georgians-dream-of-eu-members... 

The Georgia Mountain guides scheme has IFMGA recognition  since 2021. So like most alpine countries the standards should be similar. There is a ski guide too

https://www.mountainguide.ge/guides

I don't know about the legal requirement eg if Frmce you need to legally hold a French recognised award to work or more like the UK where there is no legal requirement? 

earlsdonwhu 21 Jun 2023

Having been to a few different ski areas, I would say forget it. It is a fascinating place to visit and I would love to go back but for your plan.......

Getting around isn't easy... especially in winter.

You would need to speak Russian/ Georgian

There are well established local guides you would be competing against.

Maps are not great or widely available

The scale of the mountains is pretty huge....the infrastructure is limited so you need to be clued in and self sufficient.

There may be work permit/ visa issues. ...I don't know.

Consider plan B.

HammondR 21 Jun 2023

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162328&highlight=georgi... 

this should be a useful link on Snowheads. If you register on the site there are lots more if you search.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...