UKC

Problem with Paramo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nipper79 06 Aug 2023

I wondered if anyone else has had any problems with light coloured Paramo fabrics. I can't see that I am able to upload photos on this site but I posted them in this thread https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=45359.msg651200#msg651200

It's a brand new jacket and I don't know whether to get a replacement. I tried emailing their customer support but the email bounces back that the inbox is full. I rang the line but got through to the shop and had a dire experience.

My feeling is that it is the DWR that is not applied correctly or has rub off before it got to me, but if this is what the red looks like when DWR does rub off, which it inevitably will, then I won't bother getting another one.

Thanks for any input on this

Mark Kemball 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

You can post photos to your gallery which then have to be approved by a moderator, or if you become a UKC supporter (£20 per year) you can include photos in a post. 

Ridge 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

Looks like badly applied wash-in DWR at the factory, or its been sat in a warehouse for years. I'd return it to the shop and get a refund. Sounds odd that Paramo customer service can't be contacted.

wbo2 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79: A cynic would comment that the 'irregular' appearance is all part of the Paramo ghetto chic you love or hate.

But yes, to me that looks like the DWR isn't great and it's already wetting out in spots

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023

Thanks for the replies. It should be the latest version of the jacket, so only in the shop for a few months. I think I will give up on the idea of the red version if it will take on a filthy appearance every time it needs reproofing. Maybe the Paramo inbox is full of people complaining about the red jacket!

DaveHK 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

> Maybe the Paramo inbox is full of people complaining about the red jacket!

Or the fact that they aren't waterproof.

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

haha, well I haven't tried them before so I don't know for sure whether I will like it anyway. I got 20% off so felt better about taking the plunge than if I was paying full price. I had been reading that they base their idea from animal fur and later that day I saw my neighbours cat sat on the doorstep looking thoroughly miserable in the rain. I thought I hope they don't base it off of felines! I actually might not be a bad candidate for Paramo as I often will wear my Rab Vapour Rise or Vital in light rain and I'm OK getting a bit damp as long as I'm not getting cold. 

jonnie3430 06 Aug 2023
In reply to wbo2:

Does it go back to normal colour when dry? If so, it's just the outer fabric getting saturated when the water overwhelms the dwr coating. You still have the hydrophobic layer underneath to keep the water off you.

In reply to Nipper79:

My 2p is that my guess is it looks like some contamination of some sort say maybe something on someone’s hands touching/packing it or whatever.

I’ve used paramo since the 80s (and I have two red jackets!) and never have seen those marks with normal use in any colour. It does look like the DWR has been affected whatever the cause. Whether it is a factory fault or a later “fault”, you should be entitled to a refund or replacement. Personally I wouldn’t wash it first without speaking to Paramo and reserving your right to return first. If it was like the past they would take it back and wash and reproof FOC if that was acceptable to you.

Having dealt with paramo a few times speaking to them direct at their hq (albeit last time quite a while ago now), I am surprised at what appears to be a lack of customer service. My experience is they were very helpful and I not had any problem with free repair, free replacement, etc. over the years. Unless you just want to get rid of, I would suggest giving them another try.

I read your comments on the other site. Can I suggest if you wish paramo type clothing, but not wishing to deal with paramo, an alternative is Cioch Direct who use same fabrics though different colours/styles. https://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/ .

One advantage is they do made to measure gear so it you need a certain arm length they will do it and (it used to be if not still is) guaranteed to fit or they alter for free until it is correct. Yes you pay a premium but I’ve had friends use them many times as they fit them unlike the general baggy dimensions standard paramo is. Their service was excellent in the past so hopefully still is.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Post edited at 19:21
OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thank you. Yes I'd been in touch with Cioch before looking at the Paramo (I hadn't received an email back for a while but it turned out Helen was in an accident and in hospital). The problem is I don't know when I could get to them in person and tbh ordering without having ever seen the product puts me off a bit (obviously I couldn't return anything that had been custom fit just because I didn't like it). They did send me extra photos to what was on the website but I still wasn't sure and then ended up buying the Paramo. I mean if this is not typical of the red colour then maybe I will try another one.

In reply to Nipper79:

It is best to see cioch gear in person. Can’t help really other than to say for all the cioch gear I’ve seen in the past was it was very hard to tell it wasn’t paramo except for the label and for the obvious colour differences and style differences. Quality wise it was as good as paramo make theirs. They also sell paramo gear so would get good customer service I reckon if you could justify a visit to them!

> I mean if this is not typical of the red colour then maybe I will try another one.

I’ve not seen it, but they may well have changed fabrics which I can’t comment on. Suggest if you are happy to wait a bit, speak direct to Paramo HQ first. If they can’t reassure you, probably best to find another make you are happy with.

As you know paramo stuff lasts a long time and are not cheap in the first place so you have to be happy with them. Have to say I’ve never regretted any, bar one, of my paramo purchases (Cascada trousers were the only thing I never got in with), and I’ve bought a lot over the many years, and used and abused them and they still perform.

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yes I can wait a bit to see what they come back with. I've never got around to visiting the Isle of Skye before but I do plan to someday so will go and see Cioch then. It would be nice to have a perfect fit jacket.

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to jonnie3430:

Sorry I missed your post. Yes it looks fine when dry but when it's wet it doesn't look like the usual wetting out of fabric, certainly nothing I have experienced before anyway. It looks mucky and stained is the only way to describe it.

Andypeak 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

That's how every paramo I've ever seen looks after a soaking (and many other fabrics). It's just where the DWR has been overwhelmed and the fabric soaks up some water. Mine does it all the time, it still keeps me dry and personally that's all that matters. If I was worried about looked good I certainly wouldn't be wearing Paramo

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

Interesting, my red shell jacket has never looked like this. It shouldn't have been overwhelmed as I just flicked water at it, I haven't tried it in actual rain yet.

jonnie3430 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

Sounds strange! Am a big paramo fan and they've been good for repairs too. My last two sets of waterproofs have been cioch and they've been excellent, especially the last, a glamaig jacket with pockets moved up out of the way of a harness. Their trousers and salopettes have a stretch panel at the crotch too, fixing the issues I had with cascada trousers.

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to jonnie3430:

Oooh, I didn't know Cioch can change the pockets in the glamaig. The harta lightweight has better pockets but it's over £100 more because of other features also. Which paramo jacket would you compare the glamaig to in terms of the fabric? Cioch seem to use a range of Nikwax outer fabrics and I'm not sure which one is the same as the Velez. I take it the glamaig is OK without the external stormflaps that the harta has otherwise you wouldn't be happy with it.

jonnie3430 06 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

They can do anything, that's the beauty of it. Longer hem, longer trousers, perfect sleeves, no pit zips, etc. Maybe Velez? I didn't know the different nikwax fabrics, I just asked them to make it as light as possible. None of my paramo or cioch has external storm flaps. Aspira smock, Quito jacket, glamaig jacket or new glamaig jacket, though there's some attempt at inner poppers which I never use and it seems fine. If it's absolutely dumping down I'll try to get into a bothy bag or put a belay jacket on.

OP Nipper79 06 Aug 2023
In reply to jonnie3430:

I think some of the heavier fabrics are used for reinforcements on some styles. They may not all be Nikwax but I thought so. Did you visit them or just send your measurements in? I asked whether they could make the sleeves longer than they usually would for any given measurements (as I prefer them to be what a lot of people would say 'too long') and they said that was fine.

jonnie3430 07 Aug 2023
In reply to Nipper79:

I visited, but I stay fairly close and it was a lovely day for a ride on the bike.

OP Nipper79 07 Aug 2023

I've now spoken with customer service at Paramo and they were helpful. She said she would get someone in the team to comment on the photos and get back to me. I had informed the retailer I bought it from that I was having an issue and asked if they had any thoughts on it. They said they contact Paramo in the first instance anyway and will find a solution.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...