UKC

Bouldering near Oban/Loch Awe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AntonSC 18 Aug 2023
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Bouldering

No one on here happens to know of any bouldering spots around the Loch Awe area? Can’t see any in the books but thought I might chance on here in case someone who is local knows of anything. 

Going on a wee family camping trip and thought I could maybe get out for an hour or two in the morning (if weather allows).

Anything to climb in the 6’s and 7’s grade would be grand for a quick getaway. 

Mark Bull 18 Aug 2023
In reply to AntonSC:

Limited options according to the logbooks on here, I'm afraid. A couple of minor spots north of Oban:  Port Appin Sea Cliffs and  Dallens Boulder

There's  Catnip crag which looks nice if you could wangle a family day out on Kerrara. 

Post edited at 13:21
OP AntonSC 18 Aug 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

Yeah I suspected it was going to be limited. Thanks for these options though - I might just give one a try. Anything that won’t make me feel bad that the only reason I brought my crash pads is so my in-laws can use them as seating haha. 

Lankyman 18 Aug 2023
In reply to AntonSC:

If you get onto Kerrera (like suggested above) then there is lots of unrecorded rock at the south end of the island by Gylen Castle. Under the castle itself is an impressive crag with a through cave.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6645417

It's a kind of conglomerate like the bolted crags alongside the road from Oban to the ferry. The ferry out to the island would make a good family experience. There's a nearby cafe (not been but reviews rate it highly and lots of people seemed to be calling in). I walked by the Catnip Crag last year - it's at the north end by the big, pointy memorial you can see from Oban. It looked like a strenuous leaning wall of gritstone jamming cracks.

Post edited at 20:01
OP AntonSC 19 Aug 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks, man! I’ll  bring that up this weekend about possibly doing that. You’ve definitely sold the little venture. I’m just hoping the weather becomes a bit better and we get a couple of dry days.

thanks for all the help from both of you, it’s been helpful.

Lankyman 19 Aug 2023
In reply to AntonSC:

You're welcome. As is often the case there's a Walkhighlands route that visits the castle

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/kerrera-gylen.shtml 

You could just walk/cycle direct to the castle but the best views are from the west side of Kerrera out over towards Mull. Nothing to do with bouldering but right by Loch Awe are some nice short walks in the forest - Avich Falls and Inverinan Glen. If you want a great family experience getting the short boat ride over to Easedale island from Ellanabeich. Again, details on Walkhighlands.

Alex the Alex 21 Aug 2023
In reply to AntonSC:

Hi,

Catnip mentioned above is a good rec. Flat grassy landings for one pad, and the bouldering between the crack lines dries fast. The kererra marina ferry runs frequently all summer, but you need to book on their website. 

Theres a big boulder by Oban sailing club thats also good for a few hours. Dries fast and a flat landing. Tidal though for half the tide. 

If you've got more time, theres a small bouldering circuit in Glen Scallastle, on Mull, which you can walk to from the ferry (so no need for the car). Really lovely gabbro boulders. And offers a nice walk and option for a swim in the river for family. 

Theres not much around Loch Awe, unless you're prepared to go full expedition bouldering around the back of Cruachan. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Alex

OP AntonSC 21 Aug 2023
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Thanks for more suggestions! It is definitely helpful and will be looking further into it. I’ve got the Scottish bouldering book and it has a few pages in Mull, so that’s an idea I actually didn’t think of.

thanks again for all the help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...