UKC

Recommend me a car battery charger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 22 Aug 2023

As in the title, I am looking for a car battery charger, mostly to trickle charge my existing vehicle.  There are loads to choose from, but don’t want to break the bank.  Any good recs appreciated.

thanks

Mr Lopez 22 Aug 2023
In reply to kipper12:

Halfords own brand smart chargers are rebadged 'ring' chargers and pretty good value for the money provided you are not looking at charging the battery in a hurry

I used one of these for 2 years of heavy use and it worked flawlessly (until i confused it and went mad when i hooked up a solar system...) https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers/half...

They seem to also have the 'newer' version for similar price

Post edited at 21:01
 MJAngry 22 Aug 2023
In reply to kipper12:

Noco

Mike-W-99 22 Aug 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Think that's what I have too. Worked well for keeping the van charged when not used over the winter.

wintertree 22 Aug 2023
In reply to kipper12:

Whatever you get, I'd say it's worth getting one that can be attached to the battery via terminal lugs, with a connectorised cable with a fuse near the battery side. Fit the connector and it stays on over the years, no worries about crocodile clips popping off et, and it's seconds to (dis)connect the charger.  I got some "MOTOPOWER 12V 1000mA" units for our cars during Covid and they did fine. I still stick them on over prolonged periods of disuse for either vehicle.

You don't say if this is for garaged use or for outdoor use - if it's outdoor you want a decent IP rating if it's going to live in a wheel well, or a long mains cable to run to an IP rated extension lead on the ground under the vehicle, or tucked in to a wheel well.

>  mostly to trickle charge my existing vehicle

If you want a maintenance charger, get one separately to a “proper” charger.  They’re not expensive and the small size and permanent connectorised cabling suit their purpose well.

Post edited at 22:36
 Dark-Cloud 23 Aug 2023
In reply to kipper12:

Victron Energy Blue Smart, great unit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...