UKC

Quiet place in South Wales this weekend....camp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreeloaderJoe 24 Aug 2023

Feeling like a caged animal, but always worry about going anywhere on the bank holiday weekend.

Can anyone suggest a nice walk over to somewhere with a nice swimming lake/lynn/pond which is likely to be devoid of many other people this weekend? We'll camp the night and it would be great to walk back a different way.

Can think of a million places in North Wales - but the weather this weekend is looking frightfully cold in Snowdonia!

Cheers in advance!

Joe

Welsh Kate 25 Aug 2023
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

If you want to go somewhere devoid of many other people I'd suggest looking at the Elan Valley. The Monks Trod path from Pont ar Elan heads up to llynau Cerrigllwydion Isaf and Uchaf. I've camped up there but have not swum in the llynau so no comment whatsoever on their swimmability. Other areas of mid Wales might offer possibilities, but I don't know anything about the swimming opportunities in the llynau north of the A44 and S.W of Nant y Moch res. It is good walking country though.

In the Beacons, your best bet for simming would be Llyn y Fan Fach and Llyn y Fan Fawr. The former will most likely be crawling though and the latter also gets busy, though less so overnight partly because there are fewer camping spots there. The upper Tawe between Llyn y Fan Fawr and the minor road between Glyntawe and Trecastle has some lovely dipping spots along the way as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...