UKC

Thoughts on a new 60m/70m rope - simond?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreeloaderJoe 24 Aug 2023

Was about to click buy on a joker...and then came across the simond rope range on the decathlon website.

The Cliff  9.5mm rope at 110 quid looks good for 70 meters. But seems poorly reviewed regarding wear.

The  8.9mm CLIMBING AND MOUNTAINEERING TRIPLE is 130 quid, much better reviewed... but i am worried about it being too whizzy especially as i climb lots with my girlfriend who is about half my weight.

We're looking for a general mountaineering rope - we will use it on long days out, on classic routes and the occasional alpine route. We have a pair of twin ropes for other stuff...but recently had our single rope nicked from the car...

Any thoughts?

jezb1 24 Aug 2023
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

I'm surprised that the 9.5 reviews badly for wear. I have one and it's taken a beating sport climbing here in the UK and dusty Spain, it's been fallen on a lot and is still in good condition.

It's not the best handling and not the stretchiest but for the price I think it's unbeatable.

I have quite a lot of ropes and the other one that gets a lot of sport use is my Edelrid Kinglet which has a RRP of £245, it's nicer, but not twice as nice!

archibaldie 24 Aug 2023

I also have had the 70m 9.5mm rope for a year and haven’t had any wear issues. Looked at the comments and it sounds like some kind of fault as the users had issues after one fall or like 4 sessions. 

C Witter 24 Aug 2023

Black Diamond had some 3-rated ropes going on sale for £70/50m on their website a week ago. Worth a look, as similar spec and cheaper than the Decathlon.

The 8.9 Decathlon rope seems good after a few outings, but feels like a half-rope. I wouldn't choose it for sport climbing, unless with a specific goal in mind... just doesn't feel like it would take lots and lots of repeated abuse RPing sport routes.

laughitup 24 Aug 2023

I have the 80 version and will buy another when this one reaches the end of its life. 

D.botts87 24 Aug 2023

I've used the pink triple rated 8.9mm (I think) now for some years. It's had a good beasting and still is sound. Used it abroad clipping bolts and as 1 half of a pair on mountain trad. 

As mentioned above, not the greatest handling, I find it gets twisted and kinked every now and again, but can't be beaten for the price. 

Ramon Marin 25 Aug 2023

I only use decathlon ropes now, the 9.5 and 9mm 80mts, both great, and the trad doubles, they are brilliant and beat all the other makes on durability. Yes they go a bit stiff but I much rather that than the disintegrating type like Mammutt, BD, Tendon and all the others I had. I fully recommend. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...