UKC

Chris Lewis, Patterdale MRT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tringa 11 Sep 2023
Discussion moved from RIP thread

In reply to WildAboutWalking:

It is excellent that rescue teams do not judge those who need rescuing and an accident can happen at any time.

It is just very sad that this volunteer was injured when try to help someone who should never have been there.

Dave 

Alkis 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> It is just very sad that this volunteer was injured when try to help someone who should never have been there.

That exact same reasoning can be made by non-climbers about all climbers at any point, much as what they did was not allowed at the time, that was not the cause of the accident. Please, this was discussed in length when it happened, it is not appropriate to discuss this here at all.

Rest in peace Chris, who selflessly put his life on the line to help people.

Post edited at 11:49
 Lankyman 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> It is just very sad that this volunteer was injured when try to help someone who should never have been there.

Yes, a judgmental side of me does think like this (can't be helped?). But then on reflection, I think of the numerous times I was out in all kinds of unsuitable conditions (especially caving) when I probably should not have been. I never needed rescuing but I was probably lucky. Whichever way you look at it it's a desperately sad event. Life can deal all sorts of cruel blows.

OP Tringa 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Yes, a judgmental side of me does think like this (can't be helped?). But then on reflection, I think of the numerous times I was out in all kinds of unsuitable conditions (especially caving) when I probably should not have been. I never needed rescuing but I was probably lucky. Whichever way you look at it it's a desperately sad event. Life can deal all sorts of cruel blows.

Others might view it differently but I think there is a difference between someone, such as you have described for yourself, who undertakes an activity legally and might possibly need help, and someone who was aware of the lockdown rules but decided to ignore them and as a result an accident happened that had the lockdown restrictions been followed would not have occurred.

As you say a desperately sad event.

Dave

DaveHK 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> Others might view it differently but I think there is a difference between someone, such as you have described for yourself, who undertakes an activity legally and might possibly need help, and someone who was aware of the lockdown rules but decided to ignore them and as a result an accident happened that had the lockdown restrictions been followed would not have occurred.

> As you say a desperately sad event.

> Dave

If you're desperate to debate this then start another thread, this is an RIP thread.

Alkis 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> Others might view it differently but I think there is a difference between someone, such as you have described for yourself, who undertakes an activity legally and might possibly need help, and someone who was aware of the lockdown rules but decided to ignore them and as a result an accident happened that had the lockdown restrictions been followed would not have occurred.

Seeing as this has now been moved to another thread, let me elaborate.

First of all, I have no love for people that did as they pleased during the lockdown, I followed it at great expense to my mental health, it took my head to places I wish it had never been and which can never be forgotten.

But... Breaking the lockdown did not cause this accident, going out in adverse conditions did. That is something we as climbers, mountaineers, walkers, etc. do all the time. The same accident could have happened at any other point in time, lockdown or no lockdown. It you want to place extra onus on the fact that them being there was against the law at the time, how would you feel about a rescue accident occurring at a quarry where there is no access agreement? Thousands of people in the UK climb in such quarries, they comprise of much of Peak sport, the fact that it's tolerated does not mean it's not trespassing.

To expand this further, in the eyes of the general public, everything we do as climbers is irresponsible, whenever there is an accident during rescue it is always viewed by the general public and the media as the fault of the people requiring rescue. If we as climbers start agreeing with them, it is the beginning of the end of climbing in the UK as we know it.

Post edited at 12:43
OP Tringa 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Alkis:

If the conditions had been better the accident might not have happened so yes, the adverse conditions caused the accident.

If the two people involved had not broken the lock down rules they would not have been in that area at that time, would not have needed help, the MRT would not have been called out and that particular accident would not have happened, so breaking the lock down rules caused the accident.

Fair point about climbing in quarries and I assume most who climb in quarries do not have permission so know they are trespassing. In my opinion this is much less serious that breaking the lock down rules which was a criminal offence. Though I accept others might/will have a different view.

I agree some people do consider climbing and other outdoor activities to be irresponsible. In general I think the media are even handed in their view. Most reports of rescues tend to be neutral expect perhaps where the person rescued was ill equipped or prepared.

Dave

J72 01 Oct 2023
In reply to Tringa:

This is really the worst of UKC/UKH - it doesn’t really matter the ‘cause’ this is a thread to pay respects to someone who selflessly helped people like us who do things like we do every weekend.

RIP Chris. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...