UKC

Cam advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJKing 22 Sep 2023

Hello all. Is a cam with one damaged/thinning (but working)trigger wire still safe as pro once correctly placed or should it not be used until its repaired? Obviously I am aware it needs to be repaired. Thanks.

petegunn 22 Sep 2023
In reply to LJKing:

Yes, but it could snap on your second whilst retrieving it, making it harder for them to get it out!

Jenny C 22 Sep 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Yes totally safe. The trigger wires are only there to release the cam, so if they fail it will still hold.

The risk is that the wire will snap and leave your expense cam irretrievably stuck.

EllieWoods 22 Sep 2023
In reply to LJKing:

Generally still safe but there are some (e.g. totems) where I believe the trigger wires are essential to the cam holding.

Fellover 22 Sep 2023
In reply to EllieWoods:

> Generally still safe but there are some (e.g. totems) where I believe the trigger wires are essential to the cam holding.

This isn't true for totems (unless my understanding is very wrong) and as far as I'm aware isn't true for any cams.

Totems do transfer the load from the lobes to the krab via wires, rather than the traditional axle and stem design, but these are different wires to the trigger wires. Totem have a decent little technical doc explaining how their cams work somewhere on their website.

To the OP: It's fine, but annoying if it snaps. Some of my cams have strimmer cord trigger wires now after the originals broke, quite a cheap way to repair and works well. Admittedly they're now spares so don't see much use, so can't comment on durability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...