UKC

MSR tent waterproofing issues, advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edav97 02 Oct 2023

Hi all, 

I'm looking to buy a new tent and MSR fit the bill in nearly every way, except for one! I keep hearing reports of the waterproof coating on their tent outers going sticky, peeling off, and cracking after as little as 2 years of use. I've heard so many mixed reviews in regards to it. Many say its due to improper storage, either kept packed away too tightly, or in too humid conditions. I don't mind looking after my gear, but I want it to survive for a decent period of time! My previous tent has lasted me 12 years and is only being retired as its too heavy for the activities I'm interested in these days. 

Does anyone have any experience with this matter? I hear so many rave reviews about MSR tents, but this one detail is preventing me from pulling the trigger on a new tent! 

All and any advice and input is greatly appreciated 

TobyA 02 Oct 2023
In reply to Edav97:

> but this one detail is preventing me from pulling the trigger on a new tent! 

> All and any advice and input is greatly appreciated 

Don't shoot your tent, flysheets don't last long if you do that. If you really feel the need to shoot it, go for a .22 or even smaller calibre, 12 guage is a definite no no. 

Beyond that, I've reviewed three MSR tents, the oldest now going on 6 years old https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/msr_elixir_1_tent-1139... and the newest over a year. I've not seen this with any of them fwiw. 

Pina 03 Oct 2023
In reply to TobyA:

As above, I've got one that's a little over 10 years old. Other than having to reseal the joint tapes and a broken zip on the inner it's still going strong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...