UKC

Canmore accommodation tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 09 Oct 2023

Looking for some tips on finding long term (3 months) winter accommodation in Canmore, Alberta (or nearby).

I've seen one or two Facebook groups, and there's Air B&B. However, I'm wondering if there's anywhere else I should look, and any other tips/strategies in general?

Thanks in advance!

dunnyg 10 Oct 2023
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I went maybe a decade ago, but at the time Kijijiji was a useful website, found a room in an apartment on it. Site still seems to have stuff on it. I stayed at the Alpine club hut in Canmore whilst sorting out somewhere more permanent. Useful for finding people to get out with too if you are looking for climbing partners.

Enjoy!

George Ormerod 10 Oct 2023
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I've used Rentfaster.ca, but that seems to be long term rentals.  Apart from Kijijiji, as you mention, you can put a message on the following FB groups: Rockies Ice and Mixed  Conditions, Calgary Climbing Community, Calgary Area Climbers, Bow Valley Climbing Community, Canadian Rockies Ice Climbing.

The rental market is really tight and you'll be in competition with the seasonal workers who can't find, or aren't provided with, accommodation in Banff.

OP CacCarnBeag 14 Oct 2023
In reply to dunnyg:

Thanks, did you find enough hostel style accommodation while looking for something more permanent?

A big worry is being stuck without somewhere to stay, and I'm aware that most hostels having a max 14 night stay limit...

dunnyg 15 Oct 2023
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I think I found a place within a few days. Might have been lucky, don;t know. You could always go and stay up the icefield parkway too for some climbing!

George Ormerod 16 Oct 2023
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

https://hihostels.ca/en/about/hostels/hi-wilderness-hostels/hi-wilderness-s...
For $315 you can get unlimited stays in HI Wilderness hostels in the winter. These are all in excellent climbing areas and even if you have to move on after 14 days, you can piece together a  longer trip. Apart from needing a shower after that time the guardians, where they have one on site, are super laid back anyway. Don’t mention it to anyone, but while dogs are banned, we’ve taken ours to all the ones on the Ice Fields. 

Post edited at 06:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...