UKC

Verdon Gorge - Wet weather locations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 swintona95 13 Oct 2023

Going to verdon next week (staying in La Palud) and its looking like it's going to be pissing it down all week. Does anyone have any good local info on either routes that stay dry in the rain, or some good alternative crags nearby? 

Other forum posts on this topic have mentioned Marseille / Nice area however it looks like the whole south coast of France is looking a bit grim. Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Luke01 13 Oct 2023
In reply to swintona95:

Bauchet can be a good nearby wet weather option. Steep single pitch sport, parts of it stay dry in the rain. 

snoop6060 13 Oct 2023
In reply to swintona95:

There is a sector up high (that I can’t remember the name of) that I think stays dry in all weather. The approach is really good fun and likely quite exciting in the pissing rain! Starts with a Tyrolean over the river. Someone will be along to name it. 

seankenny 13 Oct 2023
In reply to swintona95:

> Going to verdon next week (staying in La Palud) and its looking like it's going to be pissing it down all week. Does anyone have any good local info on either routes that stay dry in the rain, or some good alternative crags nearby? 

> Other forum posts on this topic have mentioned Marseille / Nice area however it looks like the whole south coast of France is looking a bit grim. Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Toulon seems to be in some kind of rain shadow, I’ve been there a couple of times when it’s been wet everywhere else but somehow the city and its environs are fine. It’s a right trek from the Verdon though.

duncan 13 Oct 2023
In reply to snoop6060:

> There is a sector up high (that I can’t remember the name of) that I think stays dry in all weather. The approach is really good fun and likely quite exciting in the pissing rain! Starts with a Tyrolean over the river.

Secteur Hulk, which would be a reasonable option. Probably dry once you're in the cave and there are some routes to do at the OP's grades. The easier routes are decent but short and mainly on the right of the cave which is less sheltered and might get wet if the wind was in the wrong direction. The via ferrata approach takes you through some spectacular rock scenery and would require focus in the wet. 

Exploring the tunnels and the Sentier Martel would be another wet-weather option. 

snoop6060 13 Oct 2023
In reply to duncan:

That’s the one! The approach is more fun that the routes to be honest. We had a good day there. pretty sure chatauvert (excuse my spelling) stays dry too doesn’t it? Least some good bits do. Great routes but really polished. Maybe not in the hammering rain but pretty sure we went there a couple of times when the gorge was wet. 

OP swintona95 14 Oct 2023
In reply to swintona95:

Thanks all for the responses! Appreciate the help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...