UKC

Choosing a Mountaineering Club in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trevi3000 22 Nov 2023

Hello folks, 

Based in South London (Croydon-Sutton Areas), I'm an avid weekend walker and occasional walk leader with Ramblers (Metropolitan Walkers). Looking to take my outdoor adventures up a notch, I'm keen to invest more time and resources into mountaineering, with plans to join a club next year.

After some online sleuthing, I've come across various options like LMC, Rockhoppers, Ibex, NLMC, among others. I'm reaching out to tap into your collective wisdom and experiences to help me make an informed decision

Here's what I'm particularly looking for:

Regular Weekends Away: I have my sights set on adventures in Snowdonia, the Peaks, and the Lake District, ideally joining trips every 3/4 weeks, depending on work commitments and annual leave.

Activities: While I'm not a climber, I'm enthusiastic about hiking, trekking, backpacking, scrambling, and via ferrata. A club with a focus on these activities would be perfect for me, so no need to be mainly climbing.

Transportation: Currently without a car and likely to remain carless, I'm looking for a club that organizes car-sharing or trips accessible by trains. I'd happily contribute to expenses and join other members on their journeys.

Community: A supportive and friendly community is crucial for me. I'm eager to exchange experiences and insights with fellow members.

If you have any recommendations or insights into clubs that align with what I'm seeking, I'd greatly appreciate your input. Let's connect and share our passion for the great outdoors! 🏞️ 

Cheers!

spenser 22 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

LMC worked pretty well for me when I was living in London. Friendly bunch, but a lot of turnover in members as people's lives move on and take them away from London (at least more so than I have observed in local clubs elsewhere in the country).

Most (if not all) clubs will require you to demonstrate competence belaying before you become members.

iani 22 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

Check out Croydon Mountaineering Club - good active bunch

OP trevi3000 23 Nov 2023
In reply to spenser:

yep i think it's a common thing in london from what i noticed, good and bad at the same time but very difficult to find a proper community as lot of people are "on passage' in london and then move on to other places, where did you end up at the end?

for competence you mean knots etc even if it's not for climbing? or I misunderstood ?

OP trevi3000 23 Nov 2023
In reply to iani:

i'll have a look im not that far from their local pub apparently , thanks  

abh 24 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

Hi Trevi,

Another vote for the LMC. I am not so active now (Kids etc), but it seems to meet most of your requirements. I am very inactive with the club (1 meet a year?!), but still keep my membership up, as the club has given me a lot!

I think there is usually a UK meet every 3/4 weeks, and we own a hut in the Llanberis Pass. There is also quite frequent oversea meets ice climbing, sport climbing in warmer climes when the weather is grotty here, a summer alpine meet, yomping about, scrambling etc. There also a fair few unofficial meets. I would say the club is less of a climbing club now, more of the activities you describe, although there are opportunities/ members up for some decent climbing!

For each meet, there is an opportunity to hook you up with a driver etc.

I think it is quite social, with a monthly Social in a London Pub, with some sort of activity etc. I think there are also midweek sessions at most of the walls in London (Westway, Castle and Mile End).

When I started, the club was very good with beginners, with more experienced members, showing me the ropes, so to speak. I think there is also a navigation meet, an intro to climbing meet..

You should be able to get an inkling of the activities from the website, although without being a member your view will be restricted a bit!

Hope this helps, and all the best!

OP trevi3000 26 Nov 2023
In reply to abh:

thanks a lot, i have texted them but i think the form only allows a certain number of characters , i'll see if they get back to me  

oldie 27 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

As you have no car its worth considering how easy it will be to get to lifts after work on Friday and get back to Croydon late on Sunday night. Local clubs might be best.

Post edited at 08:32
 seankenny 27 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

> Transportation: Currently without a car and likely to remain carless, I'm looking for a club that organizes car-sharing or trips accessible by trains. I'd happily contribute to expenses and join other members on their journeys.

Do you have a driving licence and are you able to share the driving? Having one person do all the driving to and from the crag is a lot to ask. 

OP trevi3000 29 Nov 2023
In reply to seankenny:

yeah I have full UK license, usually we share the drive if renting a car with friends, problem is that IO have always to push the and organize and part of the appealing of the club is that you are 'motivated' a bit more if it's not all on you

I guess it's the same share/driving in these cubs, I do not expect majority of people having a car in London to be fair..

seankenny 29 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

> I guess it's the same share/driving in these cubs, I do not expect majority of people having a car in London to be fair..

Anyone living in London and enjoying some sort of outdoor activity is much more likely to be a car owner, especially if they are over 25. 

spenser 30 Nov 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

Tieing in with a figure of 8 knot, belaying with a belay plate and putting on a harness.

I wound up in Derby, better options as an engineer and less expensive/ easier to get to the hills.

chalk bunny 30 Dec 2023
In reply to trevi3000:

Rockhoppers are a friendly bunch, they have regular socials and trips. They looks at subdising training for things like self rescue, navigation and first aid. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...