UKC

Merino or Power Stretch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew95 26 Dec 2023

I've just come back from a trip from Finnmark and its been between -15°c. 

I've been wearing Paramo grid base layers / thermals, paramo salopettes, Rab Power stretch fleece and a ME Citadel. 

For the most part I was okay, when the wind started blowing it cut right through me. My legs were not too bad, but I felt it on my lower arms and face. 

The Paramo thermals are not the greatest and I'm looking to upgrade. Before I go back in a few weeks. Fairly low / static activity level.

My first thought was a full set of Woolpower 400 as they come well recomended. But I live in my Rab Power stretch both abroad and in the UK. So wondering if the bib/ trouser combo would be better? I also like how its a one piece to avoid exposed areas. 

Any thoughts or advice for the -15 / -20 region? 

Post edited at 21:13
 wbo2 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Andrew95: Buy a goretex jacket so you have a windpoof . rubbish proof layer .  A base, grid fleece and Citadel on top is basically underspecced for standing around in those temps, esp if it's windy. You can get a heavyweight softshell if you want, but I'd just put a big ol' goretex pro jacket over the top

Brass Nipples 26 Dec 2023
In reply to Andrew95:

Shelled fibre pile aka Buffalo or Montane offerings are perfect for what you describe.  If you want to wear something underneath get a mesh base such as offered by Brynje of Norway.

oldie 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Do you mean Brynge under Buffalo? I thought it gave little extra warmth, perhaps because the pile poked through the mesh in the Brynge. Actually a Helly Hansen type base might be better.

Buffalo is best next to the skin but many use a base to keep it clean. I have a Buffalo Big Face mountain shirt and HA salopettes (also a belay jacket which I rarely use).

TobyA 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Andrew95:

Are you working there if you are static? If so why not use what the locals use - normally insulated one piece skidoo overalls. I've ice climbed at about that latitude and not found it too bad in normal ice kit with a big belay jacket (DAS then, but I've also used a citadel in Finnish winter) for when stopped, but I remember thinking that insulated belay trousers (or shorts) seemed a good idea.

Brass Nipples 27 Dec 2023
In reply to oldie:

> Do you mean Brynge under Buffalo? I thought it gave little extra warmth,

Are they a competitor to Brynje? 😉 It’s not about extra warmth it’s more about having something below if you pop inside somewhere and need to remove Buffalo as too hot.  The mesh doesn’t absorb sweat nor hinder the action of the Pertex / Pile.

Dr.S at work 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

So you take off your Big Face Shirt in the pub - unclipping the crotch strap- only to reveal your Brynje underneath? Cripes!

ianstevens 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Andrew95:

As someone who experiences these conditions much more than the average, I wear the following for moderate activity:

Merino base, heavy. I use a 260 weight Devold.

Patagonia R2 or Nano Air. I also have some sort of equivalent wool Devold thing which works well too.

Hybrid wind blocking top layer: at the moment some form of mammut hybrid soft shell.

Big down jacket for stopping. Ran vapour rise trousers with thin merino base (180 weight IIRC). Gloves and hat to suit. 

If im moving fast (think XC skiing) I’ll wear lycra over that base layer, and probably drop the kid layer on top. Dry cold really doesn’t feel cold once you get up to speed.

Post edited at 10:53
 ianstevens 28 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> Are you working there if you are static? If so why not use what the locals use - normally insulated one piece skidoo overalls. I've ice climbed at about that latitude and not found it too bad in normal ice kit with a big belay jacket (DAS then, but I've also used a citadel in Finnish winter) for when stopped, but I remember thinking that insulated belay trousers (or shorts) seemed a good idea.

Will second this - if you’re standing about the scooter suit is the way to go (boat suits are also great for this, but a bit more niche)

ianstevens 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> So you take off your Big Face Shirt in the pub - unclipping the crotch strap- only to reveal your Brynje underneath? Cripes!

That’s how to get a wife in the Norwegian Arctic 

OP Andrew95 03 Jan 2024
In reply to Andrew95:

Thanks for all the help guys. I really enjoyed how cold it was, like others have said its a dry cold. Yes it was -20 one day but it was so easy to keep warm. 

The only thing that made me cold on occasions was when the wind let loose. 

I really like the idea of the suit. Something that really annoys me is wearing lots of layers, undoubtedly one of them will need adjusting and its almost impossible - thats quite why I like the idea of the power stretch bib from rab - just less to move about. 

With a suit its easy to ditch when you start being more active as well. 

Thanks for that

Brass Nipples 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> So you take off your Big Face Shirt in the pub - unclipping the crotch strap- only to reveal your Brynje underneath? Cripes!

We’ve met before!

HeMa 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Andrew95:

15 to 20 deg C below zero is not really that cold. But with wind, it can feel rather cold.

So activity is the key here, what are you doing. High energy output sport, like XC skiing (freestyle). Non to low enery output stuff (standing still to observe the Aurora Borealis, shoot pics of ice fishing). Or fluctuating energy output stuff (possibly snowmobile riding, going from sitting on yer arse to sweating like a big when mandhandling the snowmobile in deep pow for all that fun "freeride" stuff.

For the high energy output, synth is often where it is at, as they transport the sweat away from yer body (synth underlayer followed by powerstrech or winter spandex, and lastly a wind blocking outer-layer (often just on the front-side, leaving the back free to breathe). You'll be warm as long as you're moving... but for longer breaks, you'll want to have extra insulation on top (after you've cooled down and evaporated majority of the sweat from your clothes).

If the non-active one... heavy duty insulation onepiece is the way to go (I would wear merino layers underneath, as there still might be some sweating involved... and those one-pieces don't really breath, so the sweat will stay on the clothes you have... and merino/wool will still keep you warm even if damp or wet).

The last, fluctuating energy output... layers... in some cases at least... in mountaineering context... What people are calling action suit (enough insulation to keep you warm... but only just... and protected from the elements while being active)... followed by the "belay" suit or layers... so additional insulation to keep you warm in your non-active (but reasonably dry, see above) state. So big belay jacket (or jackets) and belay pants (or shorts, or skirt etc.). The key here is to stay as dry as possible when active, so that when yer stationary you won't be wasting energy to dry yourself. I would suggest merino is underlayers singe keeping dry will be next to impossible... with perhaps a Brynge/net kind of synth next to skin things... that actively transports the moisture you have on yer skin away to the next layers (that can be merino as they tend to stay warm even when wet, unlike some synth insulations).

And for all, the key is to keep the you protected from the wind/elements (like snow that then melts on ya).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...