UKC

Survey on softshell use and performance requirements

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 keepguessing 28 Dec 2023

Hi everyone,

I am currently undertaking a research project for my undergrad looking at the performance of soft shell apparel and testing some new materials that have recently come to market, my research aims to tell us whether that fabric is viable and what market sector would be able to benefit from its different properties. For example, this new soft shell may be super breathable but have very poor abrasion resistance so it may be great for cold weather trail running but a poor choice for rock climbing.

I have made two identical surveys and I have split them up by user output, it's not perfect but sadly I can't split it up by every sport.

Here we have the high output survey, think, running, ski touring, cycling, etc

https://hud.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Fgwhw2Q6vGH0Pk

Here we have the medium output survey, rock climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, etc

https://hud.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_20mbscEOD0Fy6gu

Please read it carefully, the definition you may not agree with and it is fairly broad but this is based on research looking at the origins of the term, historical and contemporary examples of soft shell style garments, the theory behind how soft shells work, contemporary use of the term, use of systems by experts like Steve House and Mark Twight who have influenced a lot of modern thought on layering and clothing systems.

If anyone would like to receive the results give me a DM and I can get them to you once it's completed in late January.

abr1966 28 Dec 2023
In reply to keepguessing:

Completed...good luck...

What if you click on the first yes?

Better ask and not keep guessing. 

The Potato 28 Dec 2023

A few spelling mistakes, could have done with getting someone to proof read it first

Brass Nipples 29 Dec 2023

Something I think gets lost when people talk about breathability is that it usually applies to water vapour not liquid water.  The former “breathable” waterproofs can deal with to a limited extent, whilst softshells can also transport liquid water away from the body to the outside surfaces of the fabrics. This greatly improves comfort, particularly if going from highly energetic to low output and back again.

Brass Nipples 29 Dec 2023
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

> What if you click on the first yes?

> Better ask and not keep guessing. 

Yes a ternary response with two yes was a bit of a weird one.

> Please read it carefully

Did you?

I really wanted to open a well written and thoughtful survey. The opening page needs to be checked for grammar and typing errors, and the options at the bottom need to be yes/no, not yes/yes/no. 

An opening page of that standard will lower the number of respondents, devaluing the results.

EarlyBird 29 Dec 2023

I might be missing something but the listing for "which qualities you value most in your soft shell?" doesn't work for me - by which I mean it won't register my responses.

Prof. Outdoors 29 Dec 2023
In reply to EarlyBird:

Think you have to put the cursor on the number of each "quality" and drag up or down to prioritise the order. Not obvious.

EarlyBird 29 Dec 2023
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

That works. Thanks.

OP keepguessing 15 Jan 2024

Hi everyone

The results gotten from this have been really fantastic and incredibly helpful, just going to give this a final bump before I close it in a few days. There were a few errors in some logic functions earlier in the survey hence why some may have seen issues but they have since been fixed.

Post edited at 18:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...