UKC

Trekking poles and crutches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Cooper 07 Jan 2024

With various back, hip, knee and arthritis issues I have been using trekking poles on hills and mountains for many years. At various times I have needed crutches (2 knee and one hip replacements and significant lower back issues). Conventional crutches are not designed for mountains. I have refashioned a pair of "hospital type" arm crutches with some trekking poles into a pair of "mountain type" crutches for my personal use. Basically arm crutches, with trekking pole ferrules. These I can collapse to attach to a rucksack when necessary. As I have no access to an equiped workshop they look rather "Heath Robinson". But they function enabling me to carry them when scrambling and easy rock climbing (all my limbs work but not as well as I would like). 

I wonder if anyone knows of similar type of aids available anywhere. 

My experience is:

1. Hospital crutches are better than you might expect but have limitations. They are at least sturdy. But the rubber/plastic ferrules tend to slip and should be replaced. When my friend Dave B broke his heel very badly he could go up and down mountains on his crutches quicker than most people could run. But that may be just David.
  2. Treking poles are often not very good when you have physical disability limitations. Ski stick style handles are poor when you need to put significant weight onto them. The best of which I have experience are "Pacerpoles" - despite seeming to be designed for pushing oneself along (running?). For me they have the best handles of any poles if you do not require arm crutches.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...