UKC

Cleaning And proofing mountain equipment proshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 16 Jan 2024

Evening

Im just about to wash and reproof my ME MRT jacket.

Ive read the advice from ME and will rinse out the machine and drawers 3x and then add the Nikwax cleaning solution on a delicates 30 wash with low speed short spin. 
Do I then dry it before using the nikwax spray on reproofer, or, just spray it on the wet coat and let it dry??

Ta

Dave

GarethSL 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Do I then dry it before using the nikwax spray on reproofer, or, just spray it on the wet coat and let it dry??

I would say let air dry until damp to the touch but not completely dry then spray on. If you apply it to a wet face fabric that is already saturated then the re-proofer won't be absorbed as well. On the contrary applying to a completely dry jacket will mean you risk having everything run off as the remains of the old DWR does its job. I have also found that massaging any build up with a soft cloth helps and if you can, a gentle tumble dry on a low/medium heat has always given better results.

OP Dave the Rave 16 Jan 2024
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks Gareth, that makes sense

Cheers

Dave

Stuff comes out of a washing machine pretty dry. Certainly not running with water. So I'd proof straight from the machine. I might hang it upside down, so it the proofing does run, it will run to where it is most needed...

OP Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

Great tip, thanks captain.

the surplus proofing did indeed run the other way! Gravity eh!

ta

dave

Toerag 18 Jan 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

In my experience, waterproofs often come out running with water because the water can't escape through them like it can normal clothes.

Toerag 18 Jan 2024

> Do I then dry it before using the nikwax spray on reproofer, or, just spray it on the wet coat and let it dry??

What do the instructions say on the Nikwax proofer?  Their wash-in proofer (TX Direct) goes on wet things.

PS. I do my washing in the bath & re-proofing in a bucket in the bath (to catch any slop).  Easier than trying to rinse out a washing machine that never seems to get completely clean.

In reply to Toerag:

Yeah, that can happen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...